After the Nikon D3, what's next?

Trenton Romulox

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jeremygrayphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am rather new at photography, so I think the D3 is totally overkill for me and what I currently do. But I am extremely interested into getting into doing professional portraits and things like that. So, when do you all think the next camera will be hitting, the D3x I guess it'll be called, following the pattern at least? I could technically afford a D3, but I figure it's so hard to get your hands on, and I haven't gotten my 'business' up and running yet, I'll look into full-frame Nikon dSLRs (or, dSLR technically), when the next model is announced. So, when do you think that'll be? Next summer? Two summers?

You don't need a D3 to be a professional.

I know a wedding/studio/event photog who shoots a D200 and is doing quite fine for himself...

It's not a requirement to have the best camera.

You don't need a D3 to be a professional.

I know a wedding/studio/event photog who shoots a D200 and is doing quite fine for himself...

It's not a requirement to have the best camera.

I know, I mean, re-reading my post, it seems as if I don't know that HAHA. But I do, I assure you. I'm actually considering the D300 right now, I have about $6700 kicking around (being a minor has its advantages, tax-free living, hell yeah). And I figure, I'd rather have a badass camera to make money with (portraits, freelance sports) than a car any day!

I know, I mean, re-reading my post, it seems as if I don't know that HAHA. But I do, I assure you. I'm actually considering the D300 right now, I have about $6700 kicking around (being a minor has its advantages, tax-free living, hell yeah). And I figure, I'd rather have a badass camera to make money with (portraits, freelance sports) than a car any day!

Dude..you say that now...but trust me.

GET THE CAR!!!

You will not make the 6700 back in the time you need it to buy yourself your first car just by shooting...if you make any at all.

I thought the same thing about a computer. but guess what? I'd much rather have a car than a badass computer (which is still badass 2 years later, but not quite as badass as a car woulda been for the same price).

Do me a favour and get the car instead...
Plus, your girlfriend will tahnk you when she doesnt' have to walk everywhere lol

As much as I would love to speculate on the future and use my clairvoyant powers to read the future, I have a hard enough time picking the winning lotto numbers than to see what new camera body is on the horizon. They are usually announce prior to major shows & conventions however. So bank on the next PMA and such.
$6700 dollars kicking around?!?!? Are you kidding me? Get the damn car. Unless you want to take the bus to your next gig.

Car+Nice Lens<6700 if you don't mind having a beater car. Although I'm not a particular fan of cars I wouldn't give up on the idea just yet. No reason to buy anything more than a D80 until you're actually making money with it.

If I don't get the D3 or D3x, I'll probably end up spending a lot of money on new glass. I just picked up a 180mm Nikkor f/2.8 for $700 which, by the way, is a damn nice piece of glass. I'm in need of a macro lens (see general critical analysis thread, and then Rose by me, and you'll notice how telephotos aren't great for macros) and a wide-angle (which would be beautiful on a D3). So, yeah, I'm just thinking that a D3 would last me a good four years at least? My D80 just doesn't feel solid enough, I feel like I have to baby it.

I don't know there are just some things you can't do in the back seat of a D3...

She's got a nice car anyways. I'm down with my girl driving me places. HAHA. And besides, I can't technically drive people that aren't immediate family for a while anyways, thank you strict Maine teenage license laws. And since she's, like, away for college, I don't know how soon I need a car anyways. Ah, the pros of dating an older girl.

Just stick with buying nice glass.. Just because you dont feel like the d80 is beefy enough for you doesnt mean it cant do what you need it to.

If i were you id just stick with what you got, buy more lens, get a car and wait until you outgrow the d80. Until you can honestly say that the D80 is holding you back in one way or the other you should keep it.

Thats my 2cents for whatever its worth

Just stick with buying nice glass.. Just because you dont feel like the d80 is beefy enough for you doesnt mean it cant do what you need it to.

If i were you id just stick with what you got, buy more lens, get a car and wait until you outgrow the d80. Until you can honestly say that the D80 is holding you back in one way or the other you should keep it.

Thats my 2cents for whatever its worth

It's not producing good enough shots in lower light (such as the light I shoot in for hockey shots for the local paper...)

Buy a car some nice glass put enough in a high interest account to replace your D80 if the D80 lasts long enough you'll have enough for a d300 by the time you need to replace it.

I need something that can, in unison with my f/2.8 180mm, produce noise-free shots in an arena. At the moment, with the lighting, and the flash ban in the arena, it's tough to get noise-free hockey shots without sacrificing sharpness.

What noise reduction software are you using?

What noise reduction software are you using?

None. Doesn't noise reduction software reduce the sharpness of images? I want the sharpest possible image at ISO 3200 or so to be able to stop action in the arena. I simply cannot get that with my D80, it you know, being ISO 1600 (and noisy as hell at it) and all.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back