Aftermarket batteries

gooch

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Has anyone bought or used an aftermarket battery?

Instead of "Canon" it reads "For Canon" or "For LP-e8" on the casing of the battery

Just want to keep a few spares around for backup and not sure if the savings is worth the damage they may do if any.

Thoughts, suggestions?

I have. I probably wouldn't buy 3rd party batteries again. I had a T1i (now I have a 5D II) but the T1i had 3x Canon brand batteries and 3x aftermarket batteries. I noticed that the aftermarket batteries didn't seem to want to take a charge after they were just over a year old. But the Canon batteries were still working 3 years later. Of course, the Canon batteries cost more.

So if the 3rd party batteries cost half as much, but then only last half as long, you're not really ahead. And if the Canon batteries have a longer lifespan then I'm less likely to be out shooting only to realize my batteries aren't holding a charge anymore.

I've read similar stories from others and concluded that I'm my experience wasn't exactly unique. Don't get me wrong... I don't feel I overpaid or got ripped off. I paid less for the battery... but got less from the battery. So in my opinion it's a zero-sum trade-off.

I do number my batteries so that I can keep track of which one was used last and make sure they all get rotated into use from time to time. Batteries don't like to sit unused for long periods.

I wouldn't buy third party batteries again, I paid about ten dollars for an extra battery and it only worked for 3 months.

I thought about this too. I ended up buying the canon batteries and am happy I did. I am a firm believer in you get what you pay for.

I do have a friend though that has third party batteries for his canon xti and claims they are better but I think he just says that because he bought them and doesn't want to admit he made a wrong decision.

I’ve heard way to many stories about bad thing happening with 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] party batteries.

You pay so much for a great camera. It’s just not worth the risk. In my opinion at least.

Dont forget if the 3rd party battery decides to leak in your camera body and ruins it, your warranty wont cover it. If its a Canon battery you're covered.

I swear by 'em. That's all I've used in all my cameras for the last 5 to 10 years.
no problems.

great. I probably just jinxed myself.
:)
I do have to admit, all my other cameras were in the 100.00 to 300.00 range, not 900.00 like my new one. It does make me stop and think...
What am I doing putting a 6.00 battery in a 900.00 camera.

Now the trick is to distinquish between a genuine Canon battery and a cheap knock-off that only looks like a Canon. I'm not sure about the #2 battery I put in the battery holder on my 60D. It looks -almost- like the one that came with the new camera... One just never knows for sure when buying on ebay.

I use both!!

A friend who is a pro highly recommended the after market ones and there fine. My batteries sit in a power-grip so I don't worry about leakage as I take the batteries out after use.

I also run them right down before charging them up!

Regards

I use both!!
A friend who is a pro highly recommended the after market ones and there fine. My batteries sit in a power-grip so I don't worry about leakage as I take the batteries out after use. I also run them right down before charging them up!
Regards
+1 - I have three (out of four) batteries that are aftermarket, bought through Amazon. I've been running them down and charging them back up for coming on 5 full years now and have not noticed any problems. I also use a battery grip (also 3rd party...) and it's performed flawlessly as well.

Remember, Canon doesn't make their 'branded' batteries - they give the specs to a battery manufacturer in China, and, assuming some bit of QC, paint "Canon" on the side and sell them for about four times what the battery manufacturer sells unpainted ones for. Given that the QC for the "CANON" battery MAY be a little better, you might be able to make a case that the Canon battery has a 20% quality edge. But at a 400% price delta. That just doesn't make sense for me.

I think the chances of getting a leaky battery are only just slightly higher on the unbranded battery, given the probable Canon quality control. But I just can't see Canon sitting there and testing every single battery they buy from a zillon different suppliers - they just box 'em up and hope for the best.

Seeing as how you can get a battery grip and a couple of batteries for WAY less than a Canon juicer and BG, that might be the way to go. If you have a leaker, the worst you're out is the 3rd party grip. (I use a Zeikos).

Most reactions

Back