Aftermarket Flash Units

Bluester

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Am contemplating on using the Sunpak Auto 26 SR Thyristor flash unit for my Nikon D3200 DSLR camera. Will this flash unit work on this camera without damaging it?

I think the question should be stated: will this flash even work :p

Yes, Braineack, that is one of the questions. And of course, if it will work, would it damage the D3200?

But you won't be shooting metered flash. You'll turn the dial on the flash to the ISO you want to use, then set the aperture of the camera according to the distance scale on the dial. The flash reads its own light level off the subject, and if you've obeyed the Magic Dial your image will be properly exposed. Mostly. Probably.

With the metered issue clarified I think this Sunpak flash will fry up my camera circuitry. So, to be on the safe side, I will use a recommended Nikon flash unit or one dedicated for this camera. I thank all of you for your advices. But any comments are welcome.

No, it will not fry anything. It simply won't communicate with the camera, i.e. set its output according to the camera commands, or tell the camera its status or whether it fired, or even whether it exists in the first place. It should work just fine.

+1 to what wfooshee said.

Nikon DSLRs can handle flash units that have up to a +250V trigger voltage. (As stated in Nikon user/reference manuals.)
Nikon DSLRs cannot handle a flash unit that uses a negative (-) voltage, regardless how much voltage.

Most reactions

Back