age old battle...canon vs nikon

Discussion in 'Digital Discussion & Q&A' started by Ridgeback Guy, Jun 6, 2009.

1. Ridgeback Guy

Ridgeback Guy New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi all, I am new to photography and need help picking my first real camera. I think I have narrowed it down to the Nikon d5000, and the Canon EOS Rebel T1i. I still have many questions though. First off either of these will be a huge upgrade from what I currently have to work with, but I would like to know what you all think of these two cameras? Does either have any notable advantages or disadvantages over the other?

Also I can get either one for just a bit over 500 with two kit lenses (18-55 & 55-200mm). Is this a good deal, or should I buy the body, and get a better piece of glass off ebay or the like?

If I do buy just the body, does it come with warranty, user manual, cleaning kit and all that jass that the camera and lens comes with?

lastly, are there any other cameras that are in/around the same price range that you would recommend?

Thanks in advance everyone!!!
  2. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +4,066 / 1
    Actually, it's not a battle and in reality it's Canon OR Nikon.

A Nikon D500 with the 2 lens kit lens retails for almost $1000 and is a newly released camera. If you can get one for $500 with 2 kit lenses something is out of whack. You know the old sayoing, "If it sounds to good to be true...."

The T1i with just 1 kit lens is $900 and again is a recently released new camera.. So again it sounds to good to be true.

Both are nice entry level cameras though both are at the high end of entry level.

Unless you know specifically how you will be using a camera either will be more than able to keep you learning for many months to come.
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2009
  3. musicaleCA

musicaleCA New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    No KmH. It's obviously a battle, and it's obvious who's better. Canon. Duh. :lmao:

*Ahem* Now that I've said that, KmH is right. It's Canon or Nikon. Both are great manufacturers offering solid products, from the entry level cameras, to their P&S', to their high end DSLRs that are simply so fantastic they're drool worthy *eyes the Canon 1Ds Mark III*.
  4. Ridgeback Guy

Ridgeback Guy New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Haha I know its really not a battle, but I figured I'd spice it up :)

Here are the links to the cameras and prices...If they don't look real then please let me know, because I don't want to spend money and not receive the product!

Bingo Cameras
    and Bingo Cameras

Again, thanks in advance!
  5. Josh66

Josh66 Well-Known Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +1,212 / 0
  6. Ridgeback Guy

Ridgeback Guy New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ohh, well thanks, Josh! That could have been bad! That's why I came here to ask the experts ;)
  7. Josh66

Josh66 Well-Known Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +1,212 / 0
    No problem.

I just pulled these up on B&H to find out what they really cost. When you see camera gear for half of what everyone else sells it for, that should send up a huge red flag. ;)

Canon | EOS Rebel T1i Digital SLR Camera Kit w/EF-S | 3818B002
    nikon d5000 | B&H Photo Video

(There are a few different lens packages to choose from on the Nikon, so I just pasted the link to the search results)

If the price on any camera gear deviates from B&H or Adorama's prices by more than 10%, be suspicious.
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2009
  8. musicaleCA

musicaleCA New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I retract what I said about Nikon and Canon being on equal footing. I suggest you read one of Scott Bourne's latest blog entries on PhotoFocus about his experience with Nikon (note despite the problems he still says he's happy to have switched to Nikon).

Is Your Camera Reliable? « Photofocus
  9. epp_b

epp_b New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    I move we start banning threads that contain both "canon" and "nikon" in the title ...
  10. KmH

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +4,066 / 1
    A friend of mine got a nice new 5d MKII 2 weeks ago. Yesterday, while shooting a wedding she tripped the shutter........and it's still open as of this morning as she prepares to package it up to go back to Canon. She had to quickly grab her backup 40D. She's smart too because she has a 30D to backup the 40D.

My point is that, regardless of brand, these are mass produced, fairly complex technological wonders and they will fail from time to time. It's inevitable.
  11. Seefutlung

Seefutlung New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +60 / 0
    Both cameras are very similar. Differences are slight and most differences seem insignificant. Canon 15MP to Nikon 12MP insignificant. Nikon 4FPS Canon 3.4FPS significant only if you're shooting action (even then the dif is questionable). Nikon has 11 autofocus points Canon has 9 (but Canon's are all cross type) ... no real difference. Canon and Nikon lenses are pretty much equal when compared apples to apples ... Canon lenses are a bit less expensive. Canon has much more available in wide angle primes than Nikon. Nikon's lack of lens availability is legendary.

If you plan on using the video, Canon's video is 1080p while Nikon is 720p .... I'm not into video but I think that may be significant.

Good Luck on finding a deal ... both these cameras, as mentioned above, are quite new.

Gary
  12. Ridgeback Guy

Ridgeback Guy New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank you for the replies everyone. I didn't know Nikon had a lack of lenses available, that alone makes me want to get the canon. I'm not sure how many lenses I will be buying, but I would like them to be available should I ever get really serious!

Has anybody ever heard of this place?
    http://rogerscamera.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=684_729_1195
    I called and actually spoke to a person there, but they didn't seem too knowledgeable, which leaves me skeptical once more. They dont have the new d5000, only the d80 and d90, but both around 600 with one lens. Do you think its another scam?

This site is most helpful!
  13. Josh66

Josh66 Well-Known Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +1,212 / 0
  14. Ridgeback Guy

Ridgeback Guy New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    huh, Ill be darned. In all my internet buying days, never have I encountered so many of these scams as I am while looking for cameras. Thanks again, Josh, I think Ill just take your advice and buy from Adorama!

Also, does anybody think I should just buy a body, and get a lens other than the kit one? I know only what I have read, but I heard that many of the kit lenses aren't that great. Is this true? Plus, I would really like to be able to take close up pics of very small things like insects.
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2009
  15. KmH

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +4,066 / 1
    Nikon's lack of lenses tends to be the high dollar ones, like $10,000, 600mm primes not the main stream ones.

They did recently release a new 35mm f/1.8G lens that is on back order a lot of places.
  16. DScience

DScience New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +32 / 0
    It's on back order EVERYWHERE!
  17. UUilliam

UUilliam New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    im a canon man
    but the lens' that nikon supply are sufficient for any photographer (although most sport toggers go with canon for their L series lenses as they are part of the most supperiour lenses available in todays market)

Stock lenses are good, i bought my canon 450D + 18-55mm kit for £30 more than the body alone and the lens is worth £130+ so i could resell my lens for about £100 giving me a body for £70 less than the sale price
    but to be honest, i quite like the 18-55mm, it is fairlysharp and is a good all round lens

The problem you are encountering with the scam sites are because you are trying to get the camera as cheap as you can
    in photography you pay for what you get, you will not find it for much less anywhere unless it is second hand, damaged etc.. so i recommend pay the full price or go to independant camera sellers and try haggling that is the only way to get the camera cheaper without risk of scam (assuming you get the camera when you pay the money)

Photography is a very expensive hobby with the cheapest lenses coming in at about £80 brand new and the most expensive up to around £10000 or more but you really do pay for quality the only lens you will buy cheap and get more out of it will probably be the 50mm f1.8 (both canon and nikon) which comes in at around £80-120

hope that is help to you but honestly i have the feeling your just trying to buy the best body you can just because you want the best
    go with what you can use
    there is no point going for the canon 500D or nikon D5000 if your not gunna do much videographing
    your better getting a Canon 450D or 1000D or 40D or a Nikon D60 or D40 instead if you want only purely photography
    they are allot cheaper and have simillar if not better qualities than the 500D and D5000
    it is the lens that makes the picture not the body, yes the body has something to do with the image but the better your lens the clearer the image, buying the dearest body you can (for example lets use a canon 1Ds III) and sticking a rubbish lens on it, you will not get any decent images (quality wise) whereas if you buy a really good DO lens or L series lens your image will be much better (thats the big white lenses you see)

Dont buy "The dearest camera because its the best" buy what you can use and what fits your purose even if that means simply a Point and shoot camera, if it fits the bill then why spend more than you have to
  18. clarinetJWD

clarinetJWD The Naked Spammer Staff Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +96 / 0
    What O|||||||O said. You'll pay a bit more going with B&H or Adorama, but you know you will have the backing of a couple of the best online/real stores. Personally, I got my setup- from Cameta Camera, and they made me very happy as well, so that's another place to look.
  19. itznfb

itznfb New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    the easiest way to avoid a scam is to know that camera equipment is generally never discounted unless it's refurb or used. so if you find something for cheaper than other places then it's generally a scam.

and nikon doesn't have an issue with availability any more than canon does. both companies suffer from lack of stock on new items like nikon's 35mm f/1.8 DX. they could put 5,000 copies to retail stores tomorrow and they'd be gone tuesday.
  20. epp_b

epp_b New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    ^ It's not surprise, it's a great lens. I'm glad I got mine when I did ;)