age old battle...canon vs nikon

Ridgeback Guy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all, I am new to photography and need help picking my first real camera. I think I have narrowed it down to the Nikon d5000, and the Canon EOS Rebel T1i. I still have many questions though. First off either of these will be a huge upgrade from what I currently have to work with, but I would like to know what you all think of these two cameras? Does either have any notable advantages or disadvantages over the other?

Also I can get either one for just a bit over 500 with two kit lenses (18-55 & 55-200mm). Is this a good deal, or should I buy the body, and get a better piece of glass off ebay or the like?

If I do buy just the body, does it come with warranty, user manual, cleaning kit and all that jass that the camera and lens comes with?

lastly, are there any other cameras that are in/around the same price range that you would recommend?

Thanks in advance everyone!!!

Hi all, I am new to photography and need help picking my first real camera. I think I have narrowed it down to the Nikon d5000, and the Canon EOS Rebel T1i. I still have many questions though. First off either of these will be a huge upgrade from what I currently have to work with, but I would like to know what you all think of these two cameras? Does either have any notable advantages or disadvantages over the other?

Also I can get either one for just a bit over 500 with two kit lenses (18-55 & 55-200mm). Is this a good deal, or should I buy the body, and get a better piece of glass off ebay or the like?

If I do buy just the body, does it come with warranty, user manual, cleaning kit and all that jass that the camera and lens comes with?

lastly, are there any other cameras that are in/around the same price range that you would recommend?

Thanks in advance everyone!!!
Actually, it's not a battle and in reality it's Canon OR Nikon.

A Nikon D500 with the 2 lens kit lens retails for almost $1000 and is a newly released camera. If you can get one for $500 with 2 kit lenses something is out of whack. You know the old sayoing, "If it sounds to good to be true...."

The T1i with just 1 kit lens is $900 and again is a recently released new camera.. So again it sounds to good to be true.

Both are nice entry level cameras though both are at the high end of entry level.

Unless you know specifically how you will be using a camera either will be more than able to keep you learning for many months to come.

Last edited:
No KmH. It's obviously a battle, and it's obvious who's better. Canon. Duh. :lmao:

*Ahem* Now that I've said that, KmH is right. It's Canon or Nikon. Both are great manufacturers offering solid products, from the entry level cameras, to their P&S', to their high end DSLRs that are simply so fantastic they're drool worthy *eyes the Canon 1Ds Mark III*.

Haha I know its really not a battle, but I figured I'd spice it up :)

Here are the links to the cameras and prices...If they don't look real then please let me know, because I don't want to spend money and not receive the product!

Bingo Cameras
and Bingo Cameras

Again, thanks in advance!

Ohh, well thanks, Josh! That could have been bad! That's why I came here to ask the experts ;)

No problem.

I just pulled these up on B&H to find out what they really cost. When you see camera gear for half of what everyone else sells it for, that should send up a huge red flag. ;)

Canon | EOS Rebel T1i Digital SLR Camera Kit w/EF-S | 3818B002
nikon d5000 | B&H Photo Video

(There are a few different lens packages to choose from on the Nikon, so I just pasted the link to the search results)

If the price on any camera gear deviates from B&H or Adorama's prices by more than 10%, be suspicious.

Last edited:
I retract what I said about Nikon and Canon being on equal footing. I suggest you read one of Scott Bourne's latest blog entries on PhotoFocus about his experience with Nikon (note despite the problems he still says he's happy to have switched to Nikon).

Is Your Camera Reliable? « Photofocus

I retract what I said about Nikon and Canon being on equal footing. I suggest you read one of Scott Bourne's latest blog entries on PhotoFocus about his experience with Nikon (note despite the problems he still says he's happy to have switched to Nikon).

Is Your Camera Reliable? « Photofocus
A friend of mine got a nice new 5d MKII 2 weeks ago. Yesterday, while shooting a wedding she tripped the shutter........and it's still open as of this morning as she prepares to package it up to go back to Canon. She had to quickly grab her backup 40D. She's smart too because she has a 30D to backup the 40D.

My point is that, regardless of brand, these are mass produced, fairly complex technological wonders and they will fail from time to time. It's inevitable.

Both cameras are very similar. Differences are slight and most differences seem insignificant. Canon 15MP to Nikon 12MP insignificant. Nikon 4FPS Canon 3.4FPS significant only if you're shooting action (even then the dif is questionable). Nikon has 11 autofocus points Canon has 9 (but Canon's are all cross type) ... no real difference. Canon and Nikon lenses are pretty much equal when compared apples to apples ... Canon lenses are a bit less expensive. Canon has much more available in wide angle primes than Nikon. Nikon's lack of lens availability is legendary.

If you plan on using the video, Canon's video is 1080p while Nikon is 720p .... I'm not into video but I think that may be significant.

Good Luck on finding a deal ... both these cameras, as mentioned above, are quite new.

Gary

Thank you for the replies everyone. I didn't know Nikon had a lack of lenses available, that alone makes me want to get the canon. I'm not sure how many lenses I will be buying, but I would like them to be available should I ever get really serious!

Has anybody ever heard of this place?
http://rogerscamera.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=684_729_1195
I called and actually spoke to a person there, but they didn't seem too knowledgeable, which leaves me skeptical once more. They dont have the new d5000, only the d80 and d90, but both around 600 with one lens. Do you think its another scam?

This site is most helpful!

huh, Ill be darned. In all my internet buying days, never have I encountered so many of these scams as I am while looking for cameras. Thanks again, Josh, I think Ill just take your advice and buy from Adorama!

Also, does anybody think I should just buy a body, and get a lens other than the kit one? I know only what I have read, but I heard that many of the kit lenses aren't that great. Is this true? Plus, I would really like to be able to take close up pics of very small things like insects.

Last edited:
Nikon's lack of lenses tends to be the high dollar ones, like $10,000, 600mm primes not the main stream ones.

They did recently release a new 35mm f/1.8G lens that is on back order a lot of places.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back