Agreed to help shoot a wedding, making a gear-to-buy list...

epp_b

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.eppbphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I agreed to be a second shooter for my brother-in-law at wedding he's shooting in a month. I know, it's pretty short notice. Keep in mind, we live in little Canadian hick towns, this isn't a big deal here ;)

Before you look at my gear list and pounce on me like a hungry lion for taking on a wedding, be aware that I am a second shooter. There's no pressure; I'm there for the experience and to catch some shots that he might be too busy to get.

I'm putting together a list of things I should have.

MUST HAVE:

• 3rd spare battery (already have two) ORDERED
  • Diffuser for SB-600 ORDERED
  • Two or three 4GB SD cards (I currently have three 1GB cards)

WOULD LIKE TO HAVE:

• Lowepro Nova 190 AW or 200 AW shoulder bag
  • Off-camera flash (Alienbees Cybersyncs)

Anything else?

I've also been looking to upgrade my main gear recently with a D90 and some fast zooms. While this gives me a good excuse, I don't have the money for it right now, so I'm not going to concern myself with it.

I agreed to be a second shooter for my brother-in-law at wedding he's shooting in a month. I know, it's pretty short notice. Keep in mind, we live in little Canadian hick towns, this isn't a big deal here ;)

Before you look at my gear list and pounce on me like a hungry lion for taking on a wedding, be aware that I am a second shooter. There's no pressure; I'm there for the experience and to catch some shots that he might be too busy to get.

I'm putting together a list of things I should have.

MUST HAVE:

• 3rd spare battery (already have two) ORDERED
  • Diffuser for SB-600 ORDERED
  • Two or three 4GB SD cards (I currently have three 1GB cards)

WOULD LIKE TO HAVE:

• Lowepro Nova 190 AW or 200 AW shoulder bag
  • Off-camera flash (Alienbees Cybersyncs)

Anything else?

I've also been looking to upgrade my main gear recently with a D90 and some fast zooms. While this gives me a good excuse, I don't have the money for it right now, so I'm not going to concern myself with it.

Stroboframe flash bracket (and the flash cable that you'll need).

Keep it simple.... don't get bogged down with equipment since you are not a primary. You are building experience with taking pictures at a wedding not learning your equipment.

(as Plato said) Stroboframe
Camera + media
Single medium zoom
Flash (lots of batteries)
off camera flash cable.

If you can pull it off, a battery pack for the flash to increase cycle time since you'll be depending heavily on flash. I wouldn't even worry about carrying a bag.

Next step... asking for pointers from people who have done weddings or done secondary. That knowledge is far more important than the equipment you'll be showing up with.

I don't know where the wedding will be, but some gels might be good for lighting consistency (and very inexpensive).

If you are indoors I would generally suggest you don't really need a stroboframe. Most wedding photographers I know don't use those much and instead rely more on bounce and off camera flash for reception, and worst case scenario they'll use something like a flip-it etc.

If it's an outdoors daytime type shot (doubting it if its in Canada in December) you won't have problems with your gear. Indoors you'll probably be alright, particularly with a flash, and if you can get it off camera then great. The biggest thing to avoid is the head on deer in headlights flash look.

Oh, I would also make sure you have extra AA's for the flash. And if you can't get the cybersyncs, a cheap set of cactus triggers would probably work also.

Just be careful with bounce.. In my experience, MOST reception halls are too large, ceiling is too high or have colored/decorated walls. All of which mean that a stroboframe would be the easiest way to comfortably get the flash off the camera.

btw... Watch out for mirrors.. I hate shooting around them.

I agree that a flash bracket is a nice addition, but you don't necessarily need a stroboframe (unless you want to spend the $$). I have a Promaster which was alot cheaper and works fine.

There's nowhere to plug a cord, of any kind, into a SB-600.

You'll need to explain that to my SB-600, which is always connected to my D80 via cable!

Actually, I don't understand your confusion. The cable is merely an extension of the hot shoe to the flash head. SC-17, if I remember correctly.

I agree that a flash bracket is a nice addition, but you don't necessarily need a stroboframe (unless you want to spend the $$). I have a Promaster which was alot cheaper and works fine.

Promaster? How does that replace a flash bracket?

Promaster? How does that replace a flash bracket?

Promaster is the brand of flash bracket. Looks very much like a stroboframe but, if I remember correctly, about 2/3 the price.

PROMASTER SystemPRO Flash Bracket 1 #5726 : Wolfe's Camera Shop

First, right out of the gate, let me say........ I DON'T SHOOT WEDDINGS. So please, insert large block of salt at this time.

My Nikons are pretty efficient with battery use. Any extra battery is always wise to have. However, I can't see buying another for a one-off event, particulalrly if you're not the main photog. Just keep your one extra in your front pocket.

The 4GB cards are a good idea. Keep an extra in your other front pocket.

I agree with usayit, no need to laden yourself with a bag if you'll also be humping the main's gear. A strap like the Black Rapids would come in handy since it allows hands free travelling.

I have only used the Alzo Flip Flash Bracket. It is slightly ackward when throwing it into portrait orientation having the trigger finger on the bottom. I'll probably remedy this by securing my remote to my bracket and use my left hand for focus and release. They sell their own, but I want to try mine first...... hmmm, this weekend? Another advantage this bracket has is that the flash can be raised up to 14" above the camera.

I'd only take your 35mm & 50mm lenses.

Just my 2¢.

I still say, flash brackets are very much becoming a thing of the past. They are fine, but you can achieve the same result without using one, they often end up just being rather clunky.

Most reactions

Back