Ah! my first photoshoot

well if i used an auto focus lens i wouldnt have that problem! :D

Or if you spent more time practicing, you wouldn't have that problem.

I get more keepers focus-wise with manual focus lenses than I did with my old AF lenses.

well if i used an auto focus lens i wouldnt have that problem! :D

Or if you spent more time practicing, you wouldn't have that problem.

I get more keepers focus-wise with manual focus lenses than I did with my old AF lenses.

Very True. Auto focus tends to leave me unhappy because there's always that teeny weeny spot thats suppose to be in focus, that isn't -_- only time i use it is when it's absolutely too dark or bright outside for me to do it with my own eyes

Regards
~Owen

For a paid gig, this is a miss, well off the mark. The model is due a complete refund and offered a free session in about six to twelve months when you have a better handle on using your camera. This was a learning session for all intents and purposes. I hope you did learn a thing or two.

Wow.

I guess being a pro isn't as easy as I thought.

:thumbdown:

This thread should be a sticky for a case of epic fail for all those who think simply owning a camera qualifies them as a professional.

This thread should be a sticky for a case of epic fail for all those who think simply owning a camera qualifies them as a professional.

Lol, man this is a bit more than a little C&C.. Although I totally agree, saying "you're not prepared to be doing paid shoots and need to get a better grip on your camera before you start selling your work" would of done total justice IMO..

I like how you word it, but the one receiving the criticism probably will shut down and throw his camera in a dark closet after that one :greenpbl:
Be easy!:lol:

For a paid gig, this is a miss, well off the mark. The model is due a complete refund and offered a free session in about six to twelve months when you have a better handle on using your camera. This was a learning session for all intents and purposes. I hope you did learn a thing or two.

while I think for a paid job, the results could have been much better... but if the model was happy with her shots then he doesn't owe her a refund. He could call her up sometime and say "hey, i had a couple of ideas would you mind modeling for me? If you like the results you can have them for your portfolio" that way it will give him more practice and she'd also get some more pictures out of the deal.

as for critique... i agree, they are soft. could you sharpen them up a bit in post processing? I also don't like her skin tone in any of them... but unfortunately i'm trying to figure that one out too so i can't offer any advice.

Dont get discouraged by the comments here... take note and try again... but maybe not charge next time, just do it for practice! :thumbup:

Although I totally agree, saying "you're not prepared to be doing paid shoots and need to get a better grip on your camera before you start selling your work" would of done total justice IMO.

I'm just addressing what has become a reoccurring theme around here. Folks who don't understand basic principles and/or operation of their camera decide to hang their shingle and play "pro." When you take the money you are no longer a simple hobbiest and are fair game.

while I think for a paid job, the results could have been much better... but if the model was happy with her shots then he doesn't owe her a refund.
Oh really, then why is it that the only mention of happiness is.....
Also, I took pictures of an Opera aria gala concert she had a scene in, and she really liked how she looked so that's how she asked me for headshots
.... which is completely different than the paid shoot? Does one shoot (which hasn't been up for display) automatically excuse the results that we see for a paid shoot?
He could call her up sometime and say "hey, i had a couple of ideas would you mind modeling for me? If you like the results you can have them for your portfolio" that way it will give him more practice and she'd also get some more pictures out of the deal.
Which is the exact reason we don't charge FOR PRACTICE!

You may want to play sympathy for the OP, but he needs to hear uncensored comments. With 3 months under his belt, there is no way a charge should have been extended, much less accepted. If what he posts is 'some of the best', then a reshoot is certainly in order. If you want sugar-coated comments, then ask your mother what she thinks.

while I think for a paid job, the results could have been much better... but if the model was happy with her shots then he doesn't owe her a refund.
Oh really, then why is it that the only mention of happiness is.....
Also, I took pictures of an Opera aria gala concert she had a scene in, and she really liked how she looked so that's how she asked me for headshots
.... which is completely different than the paid shoot? Does one shoot (which hasn't been up for display) automatically excuse the results that we see for a paid shoot?
He could call her up sometime and say "hey, i had a couple of ideas would you mind modeling for me? If you like the results you can have them for your portfolio" that way it will give him more practice and she'd also get some more pictures out of the deal.
Which is the exact reason we don't charge FOR PRACTICE!

You may want to play sympathy for the OP, but he needs to hear uncensored comments. With 3 months under his belt, there is no way a charge should have been extended, much less accepted. If what he posts is 'some of the best', then a reshoot is certainly in order. If you want sugar-coated comments, then ask your mother what she thinks.

I'm certainly not playing sympathy... I want the same kind of honest truth on here as well because I know I'll get it here... people that know you tend to "fib" to not hurt your feelings, so I get on the forum to get unbiased opinions. I tend to try and give my criticism gently though, because in life I've found that although everyone deserves the truth when its asked, people respond better with constructive criticism and encouragement. And I know my pictures probably suck ass, I dont need to get on a forum to hear that... I want feedback that will help me improve next time.

I was simply implying that if the model was happy with her pictures, then really that is the most important thing. This was done for the customer, not for you or me or any other photographer out there... but for her. So if she was happy... cool beans. I personally cannot STAND pictures with selective coloring but others LOVE it... I won't pay for pictures like that but someone else will. So if the model is willing to pay for these, good for her because if she's happy, thats the most and only important thing.

Yes, he has things to learn... thats why he asked for C&C... it would have been one thing if he got on here bragging about some awesome shots he took but he didn't... he wants to improve. But who are we to say that he needs to refund this model her $ if she likes them? If she didn't, i'm sure she would have let him know, especially in this economy! The damage is done, he already charged her and she already paid... i'm not sure why everyone is harping on something that can't be corrected... However, from a critical standpoint, I think he should practice a bit more so thats why I mentioned to ask to shoot her again for free.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for all your opinions. Even the harsh ones. It's all a learning process and I learn from everything. The model was extremely ecstatic about the photos. I've known her for a while and she is a very Tom boyish, witty girl and not did she love this because the only head shots she had were from when she was thirteen years old, but she said most importantly I made her look like an elegant lady " you made me look like an actual woman, thanks!".
That was the most important thing. That it made her thr happiest camper. Of course there are tons of areas I could have done better in, but thus is why I'm posting in a beginners forum. I'm here to learn and have a good time.
Thanks again for all the feedback.

Most reactions

Back