Ahoy!

Minimalicious

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I became interested in photography a few years ago, but I didn't buy a camera until 2012(a Nikon d5100). I took a lot of photographs during the first year, and even though my technical skills were lacking(especially when it comes to editing and stuff), I felt like I was discovering a new language. Somewhere along the line I lost confidence, though, because I felt limited by my own lack of knowledge. Like I couldn't do a picture justice. Maybe it's because I'm a perfectionist, and too hard on myself, but it made me pick up the camera less and less. I've barely taken any pictures this year. Am I the only one who have felt this way? Haha.

[...bla bla bla... who cares?]

I thought I'd join this forum to maybe get back on the horse! Perhaps I could learn some things here, and become inspired to get out there and take some photos again :) I'm quite the hermit, so it was also a great way to get out of the house.

Maybe I should include a photo?

Here are two of the last pictures I took in 2013:

tumblr_mhlwtjOVGW1qjvrc1o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mlz9comLDe1qjvrc1o1_1280.jpg

Welcome!

You're too hard on yourself. Relax and enjoy the process.

Don't be overly concerned about the technical aspects, they will come in time with practice.

Hello :smile:

Agreed with Designer. Relax and enjoy the process.

Getting out and about is the best part of this hobby.

Hey Minimalicious!

Take these guys' advice - just relax, shoot what you like, make sure you have fun doing it and it'll come!

Welcome to TPF!

@Vtec44 Since Nikon is the only brand I've ever used, I can support the team wholeheartedly, haha. Nikon for prez!

@GaryA. Thanks for the tip! It's not that I compare myself to others, though. It's more that I want to be able to realize my... visions(which sometimes requires a certain amount of knowledge and that can be frustrating when you have noone to ask). Maybe I should try to lower the bar for now instead, and focus on finding good motifes(?) and such. Too many possibilities can be overwhelming, too. Like people have said, it's supposed to be fun and not stressful :>

Yep photography is suppose to be fun. Why are you all stressed out? What knowledge are you lacking of? I find my joy in capturing people emotions so maybe you just need to find what you'd like to photograph :D

@Vtec44 Since Nikon is the only brand I've ever used, I can support the team wholeheartedly, haha. Nikon for prez!

@GaryA. Thanks for the tip! It's not that I compare myself to others, though. It's more that I want to be able to realize my... visions(which sometimes requires a certain amount of knowledge and that can be frustrating when you have noone to ask). Maybe I should try to lower the bar for now instead, and focus on finding good motifes(?) and such. Too many possibilities can be overwhelming, too. Like people have said, it's supposed to be fun and not stressful :>
Focus that vision and use it as a motivation tool and not as a reason to quit. To be honest, vision is everything ... the essentials of photography can be taught to anyone ... you cannot teach creativity and vision. Do not lower any bar but rather recognize that photography is a learning curve and it takes a while to get where you want to be. You would do well with a mentor.

Typically, it takes a lot of shooting before one develops previsualization (an Ansel Adams term). Where one mentally sees the final image, (prior to releasing the shutter) ... then adjusts the camera and settings to best reflect the mental image. You have a gift.

G

Yep photography is suppose to be fun. Why are you all stressed out? What knowledge are you lacking of? I find my joy in capturing people emotions so maybe you just need to find what you'd like to photograph :D

Oh, I mean technical knowledge related to the camera! And editing(photoshop etc). My laptop can barely handle running photoshop anyway, because it's dying on me... I already know what I like to photograph:) Well, I could always find new things too, of course, but I'm doing ok in that regard.

Focus that vision and use it as a motivation tool and not as a reason to quit. To be honest, vision is everything ... the essentials of photography can be taught to anyone ... you cannot teach creativity and vision. Do not lower any bar but rather recognize that photography is a learning curve and it takes a while to get where you want to be. You would do well with a mentor.

Typically, it takes a lot of shooting before one develops previsualization (an Ansel Adams term). Where one mentally sees the final image, (prior to releasing the shutter) ... then adjusts the camera and settings to best reflect the mental image. You have a gift.

G

Yeah. That's why I'm here now! There are certain specific things I already know that I need to learn. Basic things. For example: I'm horrible with using a flash, so I've barely used it. Many doors would open for me if I did, obviously, as you can see how that would hold me back. So... I'm gonna do some reading and practicing. That's why I was talking about "lowering the bar", because I tend to avoid certain things when I take photos, if I know that it won't come out right(for example: I avoid skies if they have clouds haha). But yes, you can't teach someone to have an eye for visual things anymore than you can teach someone to have an ear for music.

Ps. Nope, I'm definitely not on the level that Ansel Adams was talking about hahaha. I'm a rookie with fumbling hands.

----
Anyway, thanks again for all the encouraging comments!

because I tend to avoid certain things when I take photos, if I know that it won't come out right(for example: I avoid skies if they have clouds haha).

Well you're definitely missing out. Clouds add drama to the sky and picture :D First thing first, you should be able to identify what you don't like about your pictures then learn how to correct it. Hey, fix it in post! LOL

Most reactions

New Topics

Back