Air Show C+C continued

Yownhouse

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm posting a new thread for my air show pictures to refrain from posting 10 pictures in one thread. I have about 600 pictures of the air show and these are some the the ones that I picked out and edited.

as1.jpg

As9.jpg

as12.jpg

as13.jpg

as3.jpg

as6.jpg

as7.jpg

as8.jpg

Turned out to be a lot more than I thought.. Maybe just pick out 1 or 2 to critique?

Picture #1, I'm a little concerned for plane #5, was it the new guy?

It's been a while since I shot an air show (30 years ago while in the Air Force) but it seems these are suffering from the same problems a lot of air show shots. The planes are under exposed. What metering were you using? I would say don't be afraid to blow out the sky a tad more, but I don't think that will help, as it seems the planes have no detail to bring out. Did you shoot raw?

Picture #1, I'm a little concerned for plane #5, was it the new guy?

They actually don't consider it a reserve plane anymore. The added into their show as use it as a training plane for other blue angels on reserve if you will. At this time #5 does a fly-by under the group of planes (I think it is their ending routine).

I like shot 7 the most. It's a bit noisy and there is dust evident. The composition is spot on though, it's simply a nice shot to look at.

It's been a while since I shot an air show (30 years ago while in the Air Force) but it seems these are suffering from the same problems a lot of air show shots. The planes are under exposed. What metering were you using? I would say don't be afraid to blow out the sky a tad more, but I don't think that will help, as it seems the planes have no detail to bring out. Did you shoot raw?

I got my camera in August about 2 weeks before this air show and I knew nothing except for the presets on my camera and how to take a picture practically. They are under exposed because I'm sure the camera picked up too much of the bright overcast sky instead of the jets. I wasn't shooting in raw either, I was processing in "Fine" so I'm sure there were about 10 different things I was lacking but that's what you get for buying a DSLR and knowing nothing about them haha. I was using the 5 point metering with the presets so I'm assuming that was the problem with my exposure. This seemed to by me closest one to the right exposure (completely unedited/cropped).
BlueAngels040.jpg

Good day everyone. I'm sorry for resurrecting an old thread but rather than start another with the same topic and questions.
I'm also looking for suggestions and CC. OP, I hope that you don't mind my posting personal air show photo's but like you I
have some of those same issues. I'm very excited to attend open house at my old duty station this month and really want to
continue to improve my shots. Some of the shots are great imo but others have unnatural looking sky. This is my main point
I would very much like to improve. I would really like to try a polor filter with no lens shade?

Shot background, Canon XSi, Sigma 70-200f2.8 uv filter, set to auto, center point focus

I think the camera tried to focus on the smoke? Still I like the shot
BLUES868-1.jpg

See the haze both on the subject and sky? why? this was a 'high' show so zero clouds, unless this is leftover
smoke from other passes? idea's....
BLUES520A-1.jpg

One of the best shots of the day but again, if the sky looked as it did in other pics this would be far better
BLUES729-1.jpg

This shot was untouched with any correction. Had the rest turned out with the sky like this I wouldn't be asking.
I just don't know where it went downhill or why. Full size you can see the show routine on the navs leg clipboard!
F15A1008aa.jpg

BLUES723-1.jpg

The rest from the day can be seen on the album I made so I don't keep taking up space. Thank you all for your advise,
I hope that I can improve for my 'Open House'
AIR SHOW pictures by flyonwall9 - Photobucket
cheers,
Scott

Most reactions

Back