Airport Photos... Critique them

tacomathunder

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
here are some shots from Charlotte Douglas International Airport......how can i improve?

102_2595.JPG

102_2561.JPG

102_2518.JPG

for the first one I probably would have waited for the plane to be farther out onto the runway. A question for you did you get a permit to take those photos? If not you might want to be careful I don't know about civilian flight lines (meaning the parking area and runway) but for all military flight lines you have to have a permit to be allowed to take pictures and you have to understand all these different rules about what you are and aren't allowed to take pictures of.

for the first one I probably would have waited for the plane to be farther out onto the runway. A question for you did you get a permit to take those photos? If not you might want to be careful I don't know about civilian flight lines (meaning the parking area and runway) but for all military flight lines you have to have a permit to be allowed to take pictures and you have to understand all these different rules about what you are and aren't allowed to take pictures of.
i was standing at the designated area for people to be allowed to take pictures...this spot is designated by the airport, and the faa

and did you mean something maybe like this?
102_2596.JPG

i also took picture 2 and cropped it some.....would this cropping work? i thought about the rule of thirds, so i left the 767 off center some
102_25611.JPG

1 is ur strongest shot imop..the others are just not appealing to me.

unfortunately, none of these are doing anything for me either. they all seem like mid-day snaps of planes. :shrug:

could use a bit longer reach or closer crops of the aircraft.

your first shot is the best one. i personally would have waited a little longer, as you can see he's turning a corner. if you waited, you could have got a nicer angle showing off the entire fuselage and livery.

for the 767 on take-off, you don't need to have that much leading space. you can leave some behind it as well.

practice makes perfect. thankfully, aircraft follow predictable paths so you can think ahead and plan your shots a lot easier.

I'm glad you were within regulations and they are better. They are some very good photos. I would be proud of them if i took them. My personal taste isn't really in regular aircraft but if you love it stick with it.

Some different angles would have been nice. But most of all, I think waiting for a different time of day would have really improved these shots. The direct sunlight is just far too harsh. Look up golden hour to get an idea of what I mean.

I find that #1 is a bit overexposed and could use a re-crop to correct the composition a bit....

I used a 2:1 aspect ratio to re-crop it and played with the levels a bit. This was my result...

102_2595.JPG
looks really good man....thanks a lot

With a shot like this, a little longer lens is a great help or a spot where you can get a little closer.

then you can get more detail of the aircraft like this:

4636310490_70a10c7425.jpg

that looks really nice man....wow, i actually caught an a340 by lufthansa at charlotte, but no pics to really write home about

Most reactions

Back