Airport X-Rays

Well I just got back. Going to the Bahamas was no problem but coming back they wouldn't hand check any of my film, including the 800. It went through X-rays twice because they did it once in customs too. Hopefully I got lucky and there isn't any damage. I'll post my pictures when I get them developed tommorow.

When i went to vegas a couple years ago when i flew there i asked for a hand check of my film the lady asked what speed ? I said 800 she said ok looked at the clear bag saw it was film and just handed it around the xray machine no biggie .. Leaveing vegas asked for the hand check again and they opened the containers and rubbed what lookd liek a stridex pad on everything and ran it through the chemical detection machine thingy then sent me on my way . Really varries from airport to airport and the clerk who is working .

I had my 200 speed put through 5 times over the course of a week not so long ago. The Austrian security guards got very suspucious over my mini tripod!

After reading all the nightmares listed above, I wonder if it might be worth it just to mail film home from wherever you are? Or do they X-ray that too? Conversely, might it be possible to process film before boarding a plane for home?

I'm having a lot of difficulty understanding why anyone would refuse to hand-check it. I mean, take it out the container and it's clearly a roll of film. Exactly how much narcotics and how many weapons could you squeeze inside one? I'm not saying security isn't important but there's a point at which they're just being pointlessly bureaucratic. I mean, they insist on X-raying a roll of film? Why don't they make you remove your belt and shoe laces? They'd be far more useful as weapons.

I just got back from Italy a couple of weeks ago. Took 12 rolls of film. Mostly 100 speed (one 800 speed) film. I sent my film through a total of three "carry on" x-ray machines. I had no problems.

ZaphodB said:
I'm having a lot of difficulty understanding why anyone would refuse to hand-check it. I mean, take it out the container and it's clearly a roll of film. Exactly how much narcotics and how many weapons could you squeeze inside one? I'm not saying security isn't important but there's a point at which they're just being pointlessly bureaucratic. I mean, they insist on X-raying a roll of film? Why don't they make you remove your belt and shoe laces? They'd be far more useful as weapons.
I think with the film its more drugs and stuff like that they are looking for, rather a weapon.

Hmm, I guess that makes slightly more sense, but - well, I'd have thought the amount you could stuff inside a film roll would be 'for personal consumption' at best :confused:

Do xrays affect digital cameras too? As in, is it wise to leave my digital camera through the x-ray machine?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back