Airshow with 105mm? 5 for C&C

Primoz

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Yesterday I was taking photos of a spectacular airshow above river in my hometown. Since I am NOT a proud owner of a fast telephoto I tried to do my best with my nikkor 18-105. (noise was a bit of a problem, since I had to go high with ISO to freeze motion, but I sorted it quite nicely with software).
Here are 5 for you to judge:
Of course you are welcome to see the rest of the album here: Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

20100709_1441.jpg

20100709_1458.jpg

20100709_1601.jpg

20100709_1709.jpg

20100709_1865.jpg

Thanks!

I did some intentional vignetting on computer, because I thought the sky was monotone and subjects were not taking attention.

#2 is quite underexposed

#4 nice pan

#5 really like this one, a great capture for sure.

good job on #4

4 and 5 are my favorite i love how you got the background and the blades of the chopper blured and I love how you got the 5th one that is truely a beautiful photo

like mentioned above i really like the last out of the series. awesome shots!

I like the photos, but I'm not sure the vignetting works for me. In a lot of cases, less is more, and even though vignetting is supposed to help focus your eye on the subject, I found it distracting because I noticed it before I really looked at the photos. Even without the vignetting, most look a bit underexposed, but that could be my laptop screen that I'm on right now. However, very nice work using what you had to get these shots. They really are nice airshow shots.

Last time I was at an air show, I figured to run spot metering with +1EV, and I seemed to get good results. Using any other metering or no compensation seemed to give me really dark subjects. I'd rather have a bright and clear subject than anything else.

That said, I really like #5, but the cropping puts it too much in the center, IMO.

The composition is much better this way, but I quite like the two bridges in the back...

Agreed... and I like the reflection in the water. I'd slide Bus Rider's crop over to the other side of the frame so that the tower ended up out-of-frame to the left.

20100709_1865.jpg

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back