AI's Wonderful World of Macro

I've never thought to try a macro in B&W. I'll have to look into this.

The frog in that first b&w was really pale and colorless. She just didnt pop against the deep red of the ti plants. The conversion instantly made her stand out. :thumbup:

Youre starting to disgust me, really. :er::meh::mrgreen:These are fantastic. I really like the second one of the frog. I think this demands a wall print. :thumbsup:

Mark

Thank you sir. :thumbsup: I am trying to put together about 10 b&w nature shots to put up in my home studio. Ive got about 5 Im happy with right now.

Man this is really encouraging me to get into Macro. The B&W is unlike anything ive seen, its mind blowing.
I was wondering, do you hold your flash in your hand? or did you make one of the normal macro flash setups?
I dont want to steal any secrets, Just want to know what I'm going to need when I try to make a macro set up =)

Man this is really encouraging me to get into Macro. The B&W is unlike anything ive seen, its mind blowing.
I was wondering, do you hold your flash in your hand? or did you make one of the normal macro flash setups?
I dont want to steal any secrets, Just want to know what I'm going to need when I try to make a macro set up =)

Thank you sir. :)

No secret, I typically use the Nikon 4804 R1 system. Its super flexible. Im in love with Nikons wireless stuff. Brilliant. I also have a SB-600 when I need more light than the SR-B200's can kick.

1/16 @ f13 ISO 400 / R1 for light
4926746223_cd7f36d3e4_z.jpg

Last edited:
Mating broad nosed beetles (Ophryastes varius).

1/160 @ f14 ISO 400 R1 for light
4932537466_60a3a79c16_z.jpg

Cicada closeup. I took some liberties with the colors on this one. Im real happy with the light here. I was shooting directly into the sun.

4932601353_2cf2ee223a_z.jpg

Last edited:
Do you only shoot bugs? My apologies if you have explained this in a previous post I was so into these photos I didn't read a word anybody wrote I just looked at the photos.

Do you only shoot bugs? My apologies if you have explained this in a previous post I was so into these photos I didn't read a word anybody wrote I just looked at the photos.

No, I do other stuff too. Mostly wildlife though. This thread is just for my macro pictures. I havent really delved into inanimate subject/studio macro work yet. I figure Ill have plenty of time for that this winter.

Edit: here ya go. Pentium 4 processor.

4932963733_d1254f8eed_z.jpg

Last edited:
Likeing the new shots AI. Weevils wobble but they dont fall down lol. Its been mateing season I guess. Where I am atleast.

You should have put a NSFW on those broad nosed beetles, don't ya think?

Great stuff!

You should have put a NSFW on those broad nosed beetles, don't ya think?

Great stuff!

Hey these kids gotta learn somewhere. :lol: Birds and the bees right?

Last edited:
The robber fly is good. Right DOF to get it all in there yet keep the background at bay and sharply detailed, too. Another winner is the carpenter bee head shot. Creepy but cool!

^^ Great shot!

I like the lighting.

Its raining so I figured Id give strobing some water drops a go.

4938946393_82aaefd790_z.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back