Alabama Hills, CA

EasternSierra

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.kingofcolubrids.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I took a walk around the legendary Alabama Hills outside of Lone Pine, CA today. This area is famous as being a backdrop for many wonderful western movies throughout the years, and even as recently as Iron Man and Transformers. The place is wonderful, and just packed full with all kinds of photo opportunities.

I do not have ANY exposure data on these pictures. Until I can figure out how to view Exif data in my image files…I just don’t have the information.
I can tell you that most of the landscapes were shot through a 14-42mm lens, using a split Neutral Density filter, and the closeups were shot through a 40-150mm lens, some with the split Neutral Density filter, some without.

cottontop-bud.jpg

Cotton Top Cactus bud

cottontop.jpg

Cotton Top Cactus

distant-whites.jpg

Western slope of the White Mountains

first-bud.jpg

First Sage buds of the season

fogged-whitney.jpg

Mt. Whitney is back there somewhere...shrouded in clouds and snow...

heart-rock.jpg

Heart Rock, backed by White Mountain

sage.jpg

Lonely Sage

southern-whites.jpg

The Alabama Hills, with the southern tip of the White Mountain Range in the distant background

taste-of-spring.jpg

First real Taste of Spring

All RAW files were processed "As Shot" with an Olympus E-520.

Thanks for looking!

a nice subject. looks beautiful. i like the shots 5, 8, and 9
i think they could be alot better with some simple editing, but i will leave them alone, because is says not ok to edit.
good work though, just could use that extra umph IMO

a nice subject. looks beautiful. i like the shots 5, 8, and 9
i think they could be alot better with some simple editing, but i will leave them alone, because is says not ok to edit.
good work though, just could use that extra umph IMO
Well...the only reason I don't do any sort of post processing is because frankly...my monitor is garbage. I've adjusted her settings as much as possible, and it's still off in terms of color and contrast. Until I get a new monitor and calibration system...I won't touch them, because I'm afraid of making them worse.

For the time being, I just use my histogram on my camera, to ensure proper exposure, and then I select the ones that look the best, and process them to .jpg format. It *should* help me to get things right "in camera" more often, but it will be nice to get a new monitor and calibration system...

Most reactions

Back