Alcohol is like love. The first kiss is magic...

smoke665

TPF Supporters
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
the second is intimate, the third is routine. After that you take the girl's clothes off.

Raymond Chandler, The Long Goodbye (Phillip Marlowe series)

The second in my series of exploration into film noir. My "window glass" wasn't big enough, to use on this so I went without. Really want to re-shoot this with a large piece of plexi for the reflections it adds. Got a lot of comments on the first attempt that the shadows weren't dark enough. Took these down a little more. C&C always welcome.

no-image-available-grid.jpg by William Raber, on Flickr

Last edited:
I like this. A lot, but... it's time to get nit-picky. The highlight needs to be just a bit lower so that it's actually on your eyes, and I'd like to see just a little more space below your right hand. I also think your face be a bit brighter overall; not a lot but just enough so that there's some detail in/around your ear and below your hat brim.

Shoot, makes me want a drink....

I like this. A lot, but... it's time to get nit-picky. The highlight needs to be just a bit lower so that it's actually on your eyes, and I'd like to see just a little more space below your right hand. I also think your face be a bit brighter overall; not a lot but just enough so that there's some detail in/around your ear and below your hat brim.

I really appreciate your taking to time to direct me, but I'm starting to feel a little like a ping pong ball in a hurricane, one says darker less detail and one says more!! LOL

Lay it on, I need nit-picky to improve.

1. Highlight on the eyes - Couldn't agree more. I was the subject (obviously), trying to be the photographer. I was using zone focusing and had a paper towel wadded up and stuck in the blind to mark my spot. Unfortunately, there wasn't any way to know exactly on the tilt of the head.
  2. Space below the hand- Agree, but I was limited with my space available, that was all i had.
  3. Face brighter - One thing missing in this that was in the other is the plexiglass on the other side of the blind (faux window). Surprisingly it seems to provide a little diffusion to provide better overall light. The other thing missing in this one is the reflector on the floor. I wrongly assumed that the light on the face would increase when I deleted the plexi. However, based on comments from the first one, I did some serious burning on this one.

JC a good TN sippin whiskey in one hand and camera in the other can do wonders for your creativity. :allteeth:

I bet, all bets are off if I do it....

JC :biggrin-new:

download.jpg

JC a good TN sippin whiskey in one hand and camera in the other can do wonders for your creativity. :allteeth:

I bet that is how naked selfies got started!:1219:

To be honest, I think I liked the tone in your other post better, but that is a matter of taste of course!

...I really appreciate your taking to time to direct me, but I'm starting to feel a little like a ping pong ball in a hurricane, one says darker less detail and one says more!! LOL
Fair enough; thing is, this is all personal taste. My niggle is the pure black areas I've marked. It doesn't need much; just enough to bring a little detail into the ear, below the brim and collar.... Looking at the image, I think a reflector low and left, near your right elbow to bring some light from the key into the "affected" area would make it perfect for me...
Smoke.jpg

I bet that is how naked selfies got started!:1219:

To be honest, I think I liked the tone in your other post better, but that is a matter of taste of course!

I always make it a point to "limit" the alcohol when a camera is around, don't want to scare people!!!

The Cyanotype process has been around since early 1800's. Course the digital is nothing more than imitation of the real thing, but I felt like the tint added to the other image, and tied it back to the film noir theme. In this one I just didn't think a tint would add anything constructive. Thank you for looking and commenting

Looking at the image, I think a reflector low and left, near your right elbow to bring some light from the key into the "affected" area would make it perfect for me...

Yup, I have to agree with you. The reflector makes a huge difference. Rather than rework this, I'll likely reshoot it as I've got a couple more ideas to add to the effect. Also have some more stands/modifiers that should be in this week, that will make things a lot easier.

Also need a couple days that I can forego shaving LOL

I prefer a single malt, like a Glenmorangie, Glenlivet, Aberlour, Balvenie, et al. I also enjoy a good blend such as Makers Mark, Johnny Walker, Chivas, Sheep Dip and Dewars ... but wine ... wine is just wonderful. In the past ten years, I've tossed more spirits into my cooking than I've dumped down my hatch.

@Gary A. My tastes were a lot more expensive when the expense account was tax deductible:blue:

Now I find George Dickel #8 and #12 and the old standard Jack to be acceptable substitutes. Although not from TN Evan Williams black label is also occasionally on the list.

Most reactions

Back