Alex- Probably the Most Beautiful Person I've Ever Photographed.

DanOstergren

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beauty is skin deep and there are definitely other attributes to people that make them beautiful besides their looks, but I'm a model photographer and I have a deep appreciation for aesthetic beauty. Recently I've been doing more test shoots with agencies, and the model I worked with yesterday is definitely a head turner. We got started at 6:30am just as the sun started rising.

I didn't use the same exact settings for each of the monotone conversions, so there are some variances. I did read a bit about black and white film prints often having a slight color tinge to them, so I added a tiny bit of a warm tone to them to see if I could enhance the mood of the shots a bit. It's not very noticeable, but I think subtlety is very under rated.

Natural light + white reflector.
EOS 5D Mark I

135mm @f/3.2
1/2000th sec
ISO 800
_mg_0674_by_danostergren-d9ydpks.jpg

135mm @f/3.2
1/2000th sec
ISO 800
_mg_0531_by_danostergren-d9ydpkn.jpg

85mm @f/3.2
1/2000th sec
ISO 800
_mg_0390_by_danostergren-d9ydrd4.jpg

135mm @f/4
1/1600th sec
ISO 800
_mg_0315_by_danostergren-d9ydpin.jpg

Last edited:
He is very beautiful. Your shots are phenomenal. Really nicely done.

He's definitely easy on the eyes. Nice Work.

Super nice shots.

Your shots really are amazing. I have a question.... What was your reasoning for pushing the ISO and using the higher shutter speed?
I'm not criticizing... I want to understand your process and learn from you.

When I grow up, I want to look like him.

I was going to say "Me, too." but then I realised it's better to be slightly imperfect and avoid being followed everywhere by hordes of starry eyed admirers. ;)

Your shots really are amazing. I have a question.... What was your reasoning for pushing the ISO and using the higher shutter speed?
I'm not criticizing... I want to understand your process and learn from you.
Thank you.

My hand isn't the most steady, especially when using the 135mmL lens, so the faster shutter speed helps ensure crisp focus especially when I'm not shooting completely wide open (which causes you to either slow your shutter or boost the ISO, and I would rather boost the ISO). The extra light sensitivity in the sensor also helps create a bit of a dreamy feel with back-lit shots, and is helpful in the early morning as the sun is rising and the light is low. The grain doesn't bother me, although it can be a lot considering I'm shooting with a camera body from 2008, but the only way you can usually see it is by zooming all the way in and really inspecting the image, although I don't think the model, his agency, or any publication is going to care about grain.

The second shot is my favorite! The hair, the facial hair, the eyes........haha :)

Nicely done Dan

He's definitely not everyone's idea of good looking, too pretty boy is what my wife said.
She compared him to the boy models on Sale of the Century game show.
I am not attracted to any man, so to me all are ugly. :)
I have to defer to her in these cases.
He does look a bit like my father in his marine corps days though.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back