Alex rant (am I stupid/incompetent)?

Alex_B

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
While having lots of fun in recent weeks, I also feel that photography wise I am an idiot! I failed on so many occasions in those weeks!

- I encountered several wild eagles at close distance, but did not manage to get a single shot! (I was not 'prepared' to shoot, was fetching water, setting up camp or preparing food or whatever, long list of excuses).

- I managed to let storm blow one of my Lee grad NDs out of my hand onto a rock, total loss (filters apparently always lose against hard and sharp rocks), filter unusable. Of course it was not one of those filters you hardly ever use, but it was one of my friends and I missed it dearly in coming weeks after that incident.

- I was stupid enough to forget to remove a filter from my lens while screwing another filter on top for 2 whole days of shooting, of course this was wide angle so I have lots of images with dark corners now when I used that lens.

- All my cheap no-name eBay batteries were not up to the job below freezing point, and the damage now seems permanent. (OK, I had backup batteries from Canon and Ansmann, lucky me, still this caused some hassle). Why did I buy those no-name batteries at all?

- I missed some good shots because I just could not be bothered. half an hour later I realise what I had done, not to do anything with the beautiful scene encountered ... but then the chance was gone.

Is this just me or do other people also have phases where they act so unprofessionally (photography wise)?

It happens to everyone. I've gone out several times with just a prime and realized when I get there I needed different glass. Or my personal favorite, leaving the camera in ISO 1600 from the night before....

It'll kick your ass for a little while, but then you get back to it.

good to know I am not alone ;)

:hug:: I only feel like that always. LOL!

I find that if I'm always prepared to photograph everything...I'm not really experiencing the world around me (not as much as I could be)....
so consider yourself lucky that you were there to witness those things.

As for the filters...:roll:

Been there. I have shot stuff, and forgot, to change the ISO, or I see something, and have the wrong lens on. Lately, Im so bored with photography, I see a shot, and just cant be bothered to shoot it. :er:

Thanks guys, I am not alone :)

Well I'm glad to know that somebody experienced still does this, mabey there's hope for me after all.

i feel you pain on the eagle shots, i was recently camping and had 2 greyjays flying and getting food for young not even 5 feet away, missed every shot. his wing even clipped my leg.

it happens to all.

hmm I once moved into aperture dependent (or what ever that other mode is on the 400D) and did not realise - ruined a whole series of shots :(

ISO - why why oh why can't it be set for a mode and left at it! - such a pain remembering to change it!

Heck we all have a bad time at times when everything seems against us - many times I think its because we start something with some pressure on us which makes us less than our best (we are mentally distracted) best thing to do at those times 0 photography wise 0 I think is to put down the camera and pick up the bincolulars (if you have a set - I need one!) and then go walking without the camera.
You are then safe to just watch and not worry at all - and yes you will go with the full understanding that you will see the best shots ever and won't be able to capture them at all. Return and go to bed and relax and then go out with the camera fresh in hand

I too forget to change the ISO sometimes. If my shutter speed is fast enough, I never think to change it. Only when I want a faster shutter speed will I think "Oh jeeez, I need a faster shutter speed! I'll change my ISO!"
Then I will be shooting and feel all happy because I can do stuff handheld, untill I crop a picture and realize that my ISO was set to 1600!!

Well im leaving soon for another hike in the lake district for a few days... i didn't screw up too bad last time... but with all the gear i'll be carrying and the fast pace i will be going, there's gonna be plenty of opportunities to screw it up royally this time.

tbh, i think if your in these kind of conditions, getting something wrong is totally forgivable... its hardly a leisurely stroll to your local park!

Make sure to post images after you are back from the lake district :D

Don't worry mate - you are most definitely not alone. After all, even if you are a pro ad make your living from photos, you can't have 100% perfection and concentration 24/7. There is a life beyond the lens / viewfinder. You'll get your mojo back I'm sure

Most reactions

New Topics

Back