Alexis- Model Portrait

DanOstergren

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My intern and I have developed a great friendship, and one of our favorite things to do is get together with our friend Alexis and do random photo shoots. I went through her wardrobe and picked a simple outfit for her, then we went to the pond near her house and shot some portraits. This is the only one I've had time to edit between other assignments and whatnot, but it really stood out to me enough to make me edit it before any of the other shots. Her makeup was a little thick, so her face looked a bit more "porcelain" than I normally prefer, but it didn't ruin the look for me.
You may not edit my photos in any way.
All natural light.
EOS 5D MKI
85mm @ f/2
1/160th sec
ISO 800
_mg_3628_by_danostergren-d8jzt50.jpg

Nice, good use of a leading line, good lighting and I like the tones which are all very complimentary which your PP has matched really well. A very good fluid coherant portrait IMO.

I really like this.

The thing I like most about it is that the highlights in her hair mirror the curling rushes behind. Don't know if you intended that at the time, but i'll assume you did ;)

The background and processing are really well suited to her look, too. Really nice portrait.

Very nice! Especially the pond in the background.

Your photos definitely tell a story, so much emotion and 'feel' to them.

Not sure if anyone's gunna follow me here or not but there is a really nice "swirling" effect that this composition has on my eye. As in, when I look at it my eye follows the log up and around the model and I explore the background while never really taking my focus off of her; so I get a sense of the environment while never even moving my eye away from her at all.

Very nice shot. I'm especially loving the subdued colors in this.

it is my opinion that I like this image.

Nice light and a very nice portrait. I'm not a fan of the processing however. It's very faddish and I don't think it was ever a productive fad. Removing all black from the photo (matte black look) just makes it look like a botched exposure -- IMO. And blue/cyan skin is not flattering for the young lady or people in general. Again it's very faddish but I find it unattractive to see her looking oxygen starved -- IMO.

Joe

I acutally like this one.

If anything most people would pump up the orange/yellow, and the color tone of this images conveys a darker mood that matches the model.

Last edited:
Nice light and a very nice portrait. I'm not a fan of the processing however. It's very faddish and I don't think it was ever a productive fad. Removing all black from the photo (matte black look) just makes it look like a botched exposure -- IMO. And blue/cyan skin is not flattering for the young lady or people in general. Again it's very faddish but I find it unattractive to see her looking oxygen starved -- IMO.

Joe

She's wearing black lipstick and her sweater has skulls and crossbones on it...

Joe

Even though she's clearly [dressed as] a goth?

Joe

Even though she's clearly [dressed as] a goth?

Yes -- goths like black, and, as a rule, so should a good photo.

Joe

Joe

I saw that -- and if she was wearing makeup to add a blue/cyan color cast to her skin -- if the presentation was more theatrical......ok. The back of her left hand is prominent in the photo. That is not the skin color of a healthy human being and I find that disconcerting even given the skulls on the sweater and the lipstick -- IMO.

Joe

Joe

I saw that -- and if she was wearing makeup to add a blue/cyan color cast to her skin -- if the presentation was more theatrical......ok. The back of her left hand is prominent in the photo. That is not the skin color of a healthy human being and I find that disconcerting even given the skulls on the sweater and the lipstick -- IMO.

Joe

I think if that hand were dodged a bit it would look fine, but to each their own. If it didn't have the grading that it does, I wouldn't like it as much.

I guess I prefer disconcerting over dissonant.

Joe

Joe
Thanks for your opinion. :)

Most reactions

Back