Alien bee 800 modeling lamp

Sure, it can work. Just remember that it's a regular light bulb socket, I think the rated limit is 150 or 200 watts.

It could be useful when you have the camera on a tripod and the subject isn't moving. But if you need to freeze the movement of camera or subject, you'll end up shooting at a fairly high ISO to get fast enough shutter speeds.

YUP, the high ISO is why I said I don't know why I tried something so silly, with a real flash one on/off button away but i had to see it
bigthumb.gif

For what it's worth, I sold my meter long ago. It's way easier just to guess and then fine tune. If you are a professional with clients who need to be places and you can't be fiddling around, you might want a meter, but otherwise, just use the histogram and preview in camera.

You can use the trial and error method, but be patient. When I got my first AB strobe, I used the guide numbers and figured out roughly the settings at 4 or 5 different aperture settings and distance from the subject. If you just have 1 light, set it at about half power and set your camera to f/8 and 1/180. Leave the strobe about 10 feet from the subject, the height just above their head and pointing at them at about a 45°. Take a shot and check the image and the histogram. Leave the camera settings alone and vary only the strobe output. You should be able to zero in after a few shots. If you have more than 1 strobe it will take longer. This is where a light meter will drastically cut down your time and allow you to take a quick shot, adjust and you're ready to go. Patience. Don't get frustrated.

It is super easy to get frustrated, but I am finding it's getting more intuitive...

Speaking of which. I think I'm going to set something up now.

ETA: Also I learned in college that when you're finished using modelling lights it's a good idea to turn off the modelling light, but leave the unit on in such a way that the fan stay running. This allows the bulb to cool off a bit faster so that it lasts longer.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back