AlienBees new Remote Control

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by beckyh, Aug 25, 2008.

1. beckyh

beckyh TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I was just wondering if anyone has bought AlienBees new Remote Control?
    If they liked them or not?

I was looking at pocket wizards, but with AlienBee coming out with this (half the price) i am more interested in the bees. Plus, i have there studio lights and LOVE them.

So i was just wondering if anyone else had tried the new remote controls.

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    What type of environment do you use your lights in? I'm guessing that you won't need the 1600 foot range of the Pocket Wizards.

I know someone who has the AB radio remote, I think it's the new one but I'm not sure.

I've been using the $30 Cactus (Gadget Infinity / E-bay) remotes with my AB lights and I've never had a problem. A typical studio set up is well withing their capabilities and the price is hard to beat.

3. Johnboy2978

Johnboy2978 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I have their previous version and the only issue I have with it is that the transmitter had no off switch. Thus, when you put a new battery in it, there was a constant drain even if you didn't use it. A month or so later, the battery was dead and you had to remember to always take it apart and remove the battery. Otherwise, it has worked flawlessly for me. I may buy the new version later, but for now, the old one works and I've slowed down on paid gigs anyway, so I'll stick w/ what I have.