Alissa- Model Portraits

DanOstergren

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
~got to post #14 for a glimpse into the editing technique used on these photos~

I've been working pretty closely with a clothing designer all Summer, and this weekend we did our fifth collaboration. This shoot and the last shoot we did together have really pushed me out of my comfort zone since both times we shot in studio, and I normally use natural light exclusively. This time the designer rented some really nice profoto strobes and a beauty dish at my request. At one point during the shoot though I unplugged the strobes and used the light coming through the window. Honestly while I like the photos with the strobes, I still prefer the natural light shots I ended up capturing a lot more than the studio ones. Anyways, I'll let you decide which ones you like best.

Another interesting fact about these photos: the designer rented a camera as well, and I assumed it was set to shoot in RAW. When I got home and uploaded them to my computer, my heart sank really hard when I realized that they were all in JPEG format. Big lesson learned; I will never shoot again without double-checking this obvious detail. So, if you notice any banding (mostly in the studio shots), that would be why. Now pardon me while I go kick myself in the arse again for making that stupid mistake. I lucked out this time that the designer doesn't want to print these; the whole point of this shoot was for sharing the images on facebook and instagram.

Here are a couple of the shots captured with the light coming in through a window with the silver side of a reflector for fill:

EOS 5D MKII
85mm @ f/3.2
1/166th sec
ISO 500
alissa_by_danostergren-d87hgxq.jpg

EOS 5D MKII
50mm @ f/4.5
1/83rd sec
ISO 320
alissa_by_danostergren-d87d12v.jpg

These are a couple of the shots using a beauty dish:

EOS 5D MKII
85mm @ f/16
1/128th sec
ISO 100
alissa_by_danostergren-d87gvzp.jpg

EOS 5D MKII
85mm @ f/16
1/128th sec
ISO 100
alissa_by_danostergren-d87puv5.jpg

Here are a couple of before/after retouches:

untitled_by_danostergren-d87lga3.jpg

untitled_by_danostergren-d87pw62.jpg

Last edited:
Love #3, but her ring finger seems to be floating. Like the shadow for that finger is missing or something. Dunno exactly but it striking me as odd.

A couple of before/after retouches:
Love #3, but her ring finger seems to be floating. Like the shadow for that finger is missing or something. Dunno exactly but it striking me as odd.
You're right, it is a bit strange looking.

Great shots. You should do a video tutorial on your post processing techniques. I've always been a big fan of your PP work.

Yes, very good shots. Just lovely!

Lovely work as always. Really well done.

Your studio shots are really good, but the natural light ones are the standouts - not just for this thread.

Just curious, was there any ambient light in the studio or was it all the strobes? My only experience is shooting in my living room and I open up all the curtains to get as much ambient light as possible but I need to keep the power on my strobe way down so that it doesn't completely overpower the ambient light. It's a bit of a balancing act sometimes but I only have one strobe so the ambient gives me fill and the strobe produces accent. I mention it because you're used to working with all natural light. This method is very similar, it just adds a little more umph where ever you want it.

#3 is the most pleasing to my eyes.

I do enjoy the others.

Just curious, was there any ambient light in the studio or was it all the strobes? My only experience is shooting in my living room and I open up all the curtains to get as much ambient light as possible but I need to keep the power on my strobe way down so that it doesn't completely overpower the ambient light. It's a bit of a balancing act sometimes but I only have one strobe so the ambient gives me fill and the strobe produces accent. I mention it because you're used to working with all natural light. This method is very similar, it just adds a little more umph where ever you want it.
I made sure that there was zero ambient light. All of the windows were covered, that way I had complete control of any light that was affecting the exposure.

I'm glad you guys like these. For some reason I've been a little scared to share them here.

Very nice set. And as others have noted, #3 is outstanding. Don't find the hand/finger in that one to be strange - actually I find the pose quite nice. Beautiful lighting, and very nice PP work. And Dan, if you care to share your technical details, that would be the cherry on a very pleasing cake.

Very nice set. And as others have noted, #3 is outstanding. Don't find the hand/finger in that one to be strange - actually I find the pose quite nice. Beautiful lighting, and very nice PP work. And Dan, if you care to share your technical details, that would be the cherry on a very pleasing cake.
Thank you! Technical details are listed with each shot.

As far as editing goes, here are the adjustment layers for each image. You'll want to experiment with each one in order to develop your own style.

screen_shot_2014_11_26_at_8_44_01_pm_by_danostergren-d87t7os.png

screen_shot_2014_11_26_at_8_46_03_pm_by_danostergren-d87t7vo.png

screen_shot_2014_11_26_at_8_47_13_pm_by_danostergren-d87t7zl.png

screen_shot_2014_11_26_at_8_48_23_pm_by_danostergren-d87t84f.png

And these are the settings for the layers that I dodge and burn on (the ones labeled "Contour", "Eyes" and "Hands/feet":
Go to Layer>New Layer, and set the dialogue box as follows:
screen_shot_2014_11_26_at_8_52_11_pm_by_danostergren-d87t8hx.png
You can label the dodge and burn layers as you please.

Last edited:
Not really a fan, In my opinion you are capable and have done much better work. Maybe the lighting and studio did put you off. Posing is kind of,, eh... These are still nice though and generally I think well of your work and believe you can put out exceptional work you have the talent.. I think I agree with you on the natural light to Dan. And while I am at it let me commend you for being such a humble man and taking the time to explain your work to us and your continued posts here. Seems you are maturing character wise, not just work wise into being quite the artist.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back