all around good lens

dak1b

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello All!

I'm in the market for a higher quality all around lens. budget around $500ish and it has to b canon. :thumbup: I just want a lens that has excellent image quality and has the ability to shoot in most situations.

suggestions please!

thanks!

What you want will cost you more then 500, save and get the 70-200 2.8. It's worth it.

Yeah agreed that amount wont get you much. I have the the 70-200 L and Im gonna be honest and say its worth every penny I payed for it. I love mine, its great for portraits and sports.

Hello All!

I'm in the market for a higher quality all around lens. budget around $500ish and it has to b canon. :thumbup: I just want a lens that has excellent image quality and has the ability to shoot in most situations.

suggestions please!

thanks!

Unfortunately such lens does not exist at that price. You will have to choose between an all-around focal length, and speed/low light performance. You can get a prime lens if you want good low light performance, or you can get some of the lenses listed below if you want a larger focal range, but you will sacrifice speed and low light performance (i.e., don't shoot in low light with these lenses).

I don't know about all of the lenses out there for Canon since I shoot Nikon, so I am sure I will miss some.

18-135 for $449-
Canon | EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens | 3558B002 | B&H Photo

18-200 for $595
Canon | EF-S 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Autofocus Lens | 2752B002

I would look into getting two separate lenses. One for walk-around purposes and then get a 50mm prime lens for low light situations and sharpness. Ideally you want to save up for 2.8 lenses that can do everything you want all in one lens.

Others can chime in with other options.

well i'm looking for a all purpose lens...doesn't have to b L glass. 1k is a lil out of my price range. $700 tops

well i'm looking for a all purpose lens...doesn't have to b L glass. 1k is a lil out of my price range. $700 tops

I guess you are looking for the one lens fit all type lens.

Here are some choices.
Juza Nature Photography

Those lenses are convenience, but nothing to write home about it in regard of optical performance.

Does it have to be by Canon or for Canon? I like my Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 for all around shooting. Then again, I also like my Canon 50mm f/1.8. Maybe look at the 50mm f/1.4?

50 F1.4! Its a great lens and very sharp! Whereever I go and only want to carry one lens its the 50 F1.4. As far as zooms if you can't get one of the 70-200 L's I wouldnt spend the money on a cheaper zoom the image quality will be lacking.

Looking at the OP's current gear list I think that whilst the 18-200mm lenses would give him the versatilty that he seems to be after I can't help but feel that it will never get used. He already has a 55-250mm lens and an 18-55mm so essentially unless he is flitting over the 55mm boundary a lot I would think those two lenses should give him more than enough.

I get the feeling that the OP might have some money burning a hole in his pocket with a desire to spend, but not sure what he wants save that he want something for the camera.
I, personally, would suggest looking at a good flash - you can get a 580EX2 for $395.00 (amazon price) which is currently top of the range for canon. You could also look at ringflashes if you want something more dedicated to macro or maybe portrait work.

In the end though my advice is to sit down and work out two things
1) What is it that your current gear is unable to do for you - if it does everything you need then consider which aspects you would like to upgrade to "the next level".

2) Research about those limited areas and get an idea of what's on the market that will let you achive those goals - look at the low, mid and highpriced items and then decide on the amount you are prepared to save toward to see which you can really go for. Sometimes its worth it to wait and save a little longer and get something that is worlds better rather than to buy fast and get something that will always be a "lesser" tool

Looking at the OP's current gear list I think that whilst the 18-200mm lenses would give him the versatilty that he seems to be after I can't help but feel that it will never get used. He already has a 55-250mm lens and an 18-55mm so essentially unless he is flitting over the 55mm boundary a lot I would think those two lenses should give him more than enough.

I get the feeling that the OP might have some money burning a hole in his pocket with a desire to spend, but not sure what he wants save that he want something for the camera.
I, personally, would suggest looking at a good flash - you can get a 580EX2 for $395.00 (amazon price) which is currently top of the range for canon. You could also look at ringflashes if you want something more dedicated to macro or maybe portrait work.

In the end though my advice is to sit down and work out two things
1) What is it that your current gear is unable to do for you - if it does everything you need then consider which aspects you would like to upgrade to "the next level".

2) Research about those limited areas and get an idea of what's on the market that will let you achive those goals - look at the low, mid and highpriced items and then decide on the amount you are prepared to save toward to see which you can really go for. Sometimes its worth it to wait and save a little longer and get something that is worlds better rather than to buy fast and get something that will always be a "lesser" tool

thanks 4 the advice! +1 :thumbup:

.....I just want a lens that has excellent image quality and has the ability to shoot in most situations.....
If there was a lens that could do that, it would cost a lot more than $700.

Excellent image quality is up to the ability and knowledge of the photographer, not the equipment.

The ability to shoot in most situations is up to the ability and knowledge of the photographer, not the equipment.

Except for a very rare few, truly gifted people, there are no shortcuts when it comes to understanding how photography works, and thus becoming a decent photographer.

You should understand,
  • the triad of exposure
  • how a digital camera works
  • how a lens works
  • what a stop is
  • how depth-of-field works
  • and many other things like editing, color management, file management, image formats, aspect ratios, and on, and on, and on.
The good news is photography is nowhere near rocket science and not all that difficult to learn.

The greater the effort you apply to learning and understanding how photography works, the better your photo's will be, and that's way cheaper than buying equipment. :thumbup:

Last edited:
very true. well said. wat some lens that i'm missing from my collection? i wanted the 15mm fisheye but I don't have a full frame body...not yet at least...

KmH I kind of disagree that equipment wont affect your IQ, now before everyone bites my head off hear me out. I own L glass as well as ef lenses and what not and im going to be honest when I got my first L glass lens I could tell the difference between the two, It was like night and day. So in conclusion I agree with KmH when he says that buying top of the line equipment wont guarantee you great images but it will be able to produce a far better product when you know what to do with it than those plastics lenses

KmH I kind of disagree that equipment wont affect your IQ, now before everyone bites my head off hear me out. I own L glass as well as ef lenses and what not and im going to be honest when I got my first L glass lens I could tell the difference between the two, It was like night and day. So in conclusion I agree with KmH when he says that buying top of the line equipment wont guarantee you great images but it will be able to produce a far better product when you know what to do with it than those plastics lenses

The difference between the lenses is sort of like a ladder.

Good photos are at the top of the ladder.

New photographers using lower quality lenses will have to work harder to climb the ladder. The better quality ladder will, in some instances help the photographer climb the ladder a little faster. Once the individual learns more, the confidence building is faster, as the results are far better with the increase in talent at the lower level of skill.

Most reactions

Back