All feedback graciously recieved

Kev Richards

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm just starting out with digital photography. I'm kind of happy with what I'm capturing but know I'm at the bottom of a steep learning curve so all comments will be received with open arms.

Standing Tall.jpg
Natural Beauty.jpg

The first one is not too bad for someone just starting out. One thing you have to be very conscious of is that you, as the photographer/artist, are responsible for everything in the frame, including the background. The out of focus (OOF) mushroom in the background on the left of the main subject is a bit distracting. I would have moved a bit to the right and hidden this distraction behind the main subject. As well, the coloured leaves tend to be a distraction. I would have been tempted to clone them out, especially the red stem to the left of the main subject and the orange leaf near the bottom on the left that is touching the stem of the mushroom.

In the second one, there are two distractions that would concern me - the first is the OOF berry behind the main subject and the second is the patch of 'reddish-black" in the upper right where one of the "tendrils" from the berry appears to point to it.

Another suggestion is to number your images, unless you only post one. Numbering them makes them easier to refer to in any C&C.

WesternGuy

The first one is not too bad for someone just starting out. One thing you have to be very conscious of is that you, as the photographer/artist, are responsible for everything in the frame, including the background. The out of focus (OOF) mushroom in the background on the left of the main subject is a bit distracting. I would have moved a bit to the right and hidden this distraction behind the main subject. As well, the coloured leaves tend to be a distraction. I would have been tempted to clone them out, especially the red stem to the left of the main subject and the orange leaf near the bottom on the left that is touching the stem of the mushroom.

In the second one, there are two distractions that would concern me - the first is the OOF berry behind the main subject and the second is the patch of 'reddish-black" in the upper right where one of the "tendrils" from the berry appears to point to it.

Another suggestion is to number your images, unless you only post one. Numbering them makes them easier to refer to in any C&C.

WesternGuy
Thank you very much for this. This is exactly why I came on here. Sometimes I become blind looking at my own shots. I will try and rework the pictures taking into consideration the points that you have mentioned.

In both shots the main subject is dead centered, which makes a fairly static composition. Also the lighting is flat in both.

For me, the rose hips shot has more interest. Probably the best part is the color contrast between the hips and the background.

My personal preference is for someone asking for C&C is to post only one photo per thread. Please find and read the threads concerning how best to post for C&C.

In both shots the main subject is dead centered, which makes a fairly static composition. Also the lighting is flat in both.

For me, the rose hips shot has more interest. Probably the best part is the color contrast between the hips and the background.

My personal preference is for someone asking for C&C is to post only one photo per thread. Please find and read the threads concerning how best to post for C&C.
I'll be honest i haven't looked at this quote, but will do now. Thank you for replying

The mushroom is ok, I don't find the background over distracting. I would have loved to see the mushroom more detailed, so...a little more of depth of field. Not that much, just enough to keep all the mushroom on focus.

The secondo one is my favourite. I like it also if the subject is in center, because there are lines guiding and the rest of the composition is asymmetrical, so...ok for me. Note that in the second picture the d.o.f. is perfect. Subject on focus, really crisp and detailed, background out od focus.

Go on!

Th
The mushroom is ok, I don't find the background over distracting. I would have loved to see the mushroom more detailed, so...a little more of depth of field. Not that much, just enough to keep all the mushroom on focus.

The secondo one is my favourite. I like it also if the subject is in center, because there are lines guiding and the rest of the composition is asymmetrical, so...ok for me. Note that in the second picture the d.o.f. is perfect. Subject on focus, really crisp and detailed, background out od focus.

Go on!
thank you for your supporting comments

Not at all bad. Dont be discouraged by critiques just take from it what you think matters and keep having fun!

Not at all bad. Dont be discouraged by critiques just take from it what you think matters and keep having fun!
Thank you for your comments. I am definitely not being discouraged by critiques. It helps me understand and grow. I am getting a better understanding with every comment made. That's why I'm here and post my photos.

This sums it up well. On the first, you could also selectively desaturate the leaves to make them less distracting. Don't go all the way to B&W, just far enough so they seem to recede and draw less attention. As for the background mushroom, you could try cloning or darkening it, either one a bit tricky because it's close to the foreground mushroom.

This sums it up well. On the first, you could also selectively desaturate the leaves to make them less distracting. Don't go all the way to B&W, just far enough so they seem to recede and draw less attention. As for the background mushroom, you could try cloning or darkening it, either one a bit tricky because it's close to the foreground mushroom.
It is another big aspect of digital photography that I'm very much a beginner at, Photoshop. I'm learning via tutorials, but it's taking time. I'm in no rush though, I know it can't be all learnt overnight.

Im still learning editing too. it does take time. I like the second shot. I agree with the others on the 1st.

I think that you could do more, compositionally, with these subjects. #1 is centered and too close-up for my preference. The top and the stem of the mushroom are out of focus, which isn't necessarily bad, but at the mushroom occupies most of the frame, it forces your attention directly to the in-focus body, which isn't that interesting on its own.

I'd consider backing out a bit. There are lovely colors in the surrounding leaves which can add to your composition and the out of focus background mushroom could be used to balance the main subject (or hidden as suggested above by WesternGuy).

I hope this is useful.

Desi

Most reactions

New Topics

Back