All hat, no cattle

It appears to be tilting, pale, textureless, and have too much at the bottom.

You do not consider the detailed description of the PhotoShop actions "valuable critique" information?????:confused:

It appears you are not allowing for any discussion among member posters judging or editing a photo.....!

i see editing, yes. a simple edited image lacks the objective, interpretive, and subjective values of the photograph. photographers need to learn how to do more than post edit. with that, judging/critiquing needs to be valuable to a photographer in every sense of photography, not just photoshop edits.

do i appreciate your edits? yes, i do. i simply ask for a critique of the image accompanied by any edits.

clearly you are very knowledgable about what comprises an image. we simply ask that you explain (in the form of critique) what you are doing and why so that we can all benefit.

If there's a reason why I don't want people to edit my pics, it's in this thread...

First of all the bricks and colors(and their changing till they reach the pavement) are nice, could be boring but there is this window and It'd be interesting to find out what are these stars for, how come it's only one window in this place and then there are those metal pieces (wouldn't know what to call them) Still and interesting building within itself, the composition is nice, because it shows what's interesting and what rises questions.

The colors work for it too, the pink is serene and gradually merges with the ground, the curve of the pavement actually adds some dimension to it.

This edit possibly adds more texture to the building but basically destroys everything that could make me look at it.

If there's a reason why I don't want people to edit my pics, it's in this thread...

First of all the bricks and colors(and their changing till they reach the pavement) are nice, could be boring but there is this window and It'd be interesting to find out what are these stars for, how come it's only one window in this place and then there are those metal pieces (wouldn't know what to call them) Still and interesting building within itself, the composition is nice, because it shows what's interesting and what rises questions.

The colors work for it too, the pink is serene and gradually merges with the ground, the curve of the pavement actually adds some dimension to it.

This edit possibly adds more texture to the building but basically destroys everything that could make me look at it.

Nomade,
Thank you for your response. The stars are actually quite interesting and, to me, add a dimension to the picture. A couple of hundred years ago, when people started building multi-story clay brick buildings in this area, there was no requirement that the bricks be somehow fastened to the building frame. The brick walls were, in many places, a free-standing skin over the frame.

Over time, builders realized that brick walls begin to bow out as the frame settled and under their own weight. So many, if not most, houses were retrofitted with long iron rods that pierced the house from side to side, passing through the walls, being capped on the outside with these stars. The stars act like the buttons on an upholstered seat cushion, retaining the brick wall in place against its own weight and the pressure of the frame behind it. So when I see these stars, I also envision the weight of the building behind them, pushing against the retaining rod and the star.

Your point about edits also struck home. I have made the decision to not allow edits on pictures I submit specifically for critique so that the comments can be focused on why and what rather than how.

Thank you for your response.

Lew

I personally find this quite boring. It's a wall with a window.

In the words of The Traveler, 'what's your point of interest?'

I personally find this quite boring. It's a wall with a window.

In the words of The Traveler, 'what's your point of interest?'

I yield to someone with a better turn of phrase than I.

I'll comment on the design a bit, from a graphic design stand point, since that is what it appeared to me at first glance (and that is what you're looking for)

I do like the simplicity and I favor simple design. Maybe not to the point of minimalism, but close. Things can be simple and elegant as well.

You are off to a good start here as far as subject matter goes, however, you aren't quite balanced well enough. As said before, there is a lot of negative space on the left side of the image. Perhaps more breathing room off to the right hand side would help this. After looking at it first, my eyes start at the top star and then move down to the window, then across to the fire dept. spigots. I like the blue in the window frame, perhaps it could be a bit more vibrant.

I agree with removing the street before the sidewalk, it is a bit distracting, and bringing out the texture on the wall is important, but i feel that the contrast that PNA did now made the photo under exposed. The color tone is warm and implies that it is a hot sunny day. This photo could work really well with a flyer or something else along that nature since it provides ample space for text.

I hope that provides some feed back.

please, get a subject. get someone peeking out of the window, or, someone walking out of the frame with a long shadow. this will enhance the shot dramatically.

B&W is a possibilitly, however, for this one, the color looks good.

warm regards

Actually, I was hoping that the local dictator would march a condemned prisoner out, put him against the wall and shoot him, and he could leave a blood trail down the bricks as he slid to the ground.

Unfortunately, I had to leave before anything like that happened so I took the picture as it was presented.

Actually, I was hoping that the local dictator would march a condemned prisoner out, put him against the wall and shoot him, and he could leave a blood trail down the bricks as he slid to the ground.

Unfortunately, I had to leave before anything like that happened so I took the picture as it was presented.

Throw some tomato juice against the wall......:lmao:

Most reactions

Back