All my digital gear is on Craigslist . . .

This post is drastically different from the one starting this thread. One kinda states that you are happy with Pentax but just want a Pro-body. This one admits that you are just plain not happy with the Pentax system.

If you are an unhappy camper, then yes.. Just make sure your are burning your cash on something that you'll enjoy... not a bridge gap to yet another system.

No it isn't. I feel like I've outgrown my K100D, just like I would about a D40 or a Rebel XTi or an A100. Same with my current glass. If I owned a K20D and all of the Limited primes, I could be "plain not happy with the Pentax system." I am "plain not happy" with what's in my bag right now, and planning on upgrading regardless, whether to Pentax, Nikon, or Mamiya (not actually a serious option, although the Pentax 645s are an awesome deal these days).

I am using this juncture (when I'll be spending money anyway- even if I bought a K20D, I'd be ditching all of my glass) to consider my options. Replacing all of my gear with Pentax wouldn't be any cheaper than replacing all of it with Nikon stuff if I'm replacing all of it. As much as I'd like to keep the K100D as a backup body, I don't think I can justify keeping it from a value standpoint regardless.

And as for the medium format, I wasn't planning on "upgrading" to that. It was just another example of Pentax's ball-dropping with professional equipment, which makes me nervous.

$400-600 is a lot of glass, or, in my case, a lot of money I don't have. D300s are lovely, but I can't afford one, and if I really stretched for it, I would have to compromise glass. The D200 fits my budget, offers the functionality I want, and is an excellent tool. Most importantly, it lets me invest in Nikon.

why not swing a new D90 - better ISO range, "newer" matrixing, and excellent value when compared to a used D200. . .or am I missing something, and you need the mag body, seals, etc?

why not swing a new D90 - better ISO range, "newer" matrixing, and excellent value when compared to a used D200. . .or am I missing something, and you need the mag body, seals, etc?

Because the $400 difference is more than I can swing. I would like a D90, but it's a lot more money. The build features of the D200 are an added plus, but not something I am choosing over the D90's better image quality. They just aren't in the same price category.

This thread sounds a bit like someone who has recently decided that they are going to drop of out the "Crips" to join the "Bloods". It's interesting how emotional people are about protecting the image of "their" brand. It's your money, do what you want. I am interested in why you felt the need to advertise the fact though from a psychological stand point. My guess is that you needed the validation of a crowd who would justify the decision to move to one of the big Two. I'm a proud owner of a k10d, still if money wasn't an object, I'd also have a D3, simply because of the way it handles high ISO. That is really the only shortcoming of Pentax as I see it. I can still take crappy pictures w/ a D3 though :) How limited can you really be with any DSLR, and how advanced can you be that you outgrow a DSLR body? Today, they are pretty much equal to a certain extent. Pentax has some incredible glass like the 77mm Limited I recently acquired, and coupled with the k10d, I could produce some stunning images. The images wouldn't be any better though if Pentax suddenly came out w/ a Digital MF, and that knowledge wouldn't change my opinion of them.

I am interested in why you felt the need to advertise the fact though from a psychological stand point. My guess is that you needed the validation of a crowd who would justify the decision to move to one of the big Two.

No, I intentionally waited to post anything here until I'd made the decision. Notice how there isn't really a question in the original post. I don't enjoy "What camera should I buy?" threads, and I didn't want to start one. I did my own research and arrived at a conclusion. Since this is a place where advanced amateurs discuss photography, I thought it might make an interesting conversation starter. I was curious about how people react, but also wanted to share my thoughts as an embattled Pentax user (if I had a dollar for every time I added Pentax to a "Nikon or Canon?" thread. . . ).

Clearly, if I wanted verification, this was the wrong route. Look at all the rousing support I've gotten.

I think it is a gutsy move. I moved up from Pentax K100D to K10D and now Pentax K20D. In the process of going from K10D to K20D, I want to explore two systems with Pentax K10D and Nikon D90.

After some thought, I can't justify two system and hence I abandon Nikon D90 and went for the upgrade from K10D to K20D. If I were you, I will try out Nikon D90 as I find it well suited for amateur needs plus more down the road with good lens when you can afford them. I am not mistaken, D90 shares the same sensor like D300 and for that, the price is actually relatively cheap to get -- the best in the latest with some compromise.

I think the D200 may be a better suited camera for you in looking into short-term time frame but it will plague you with peer pressures in upgrading from older camera to something better down the line. If you think D200 is the cheap way to get into Nikon, think twice. When you spend whatever amount of money, be it smaller like the investment in D200, or something more substantial as in D90 or event the best in asp-c with D300, you have to see both the optical and the emotional aspect in justifying the cost. Getting something cheap can be expensive if you find yourself selling it in 12 months. In that regard, you may find yourself just as happy with D40 if you think switching system with a FF camera is important to you.

I see your investment in Pentax K100D with combo kit quite expensive. You could have swapped your K100D with K10D by selling your K100D body only for $250 and get your K10D used for $375.00. An upgrade fee of $125.00 is right on the budget. And to further get a better lens, you can sell your kit's combo and move up from there with prime lens. Swapping between systems is expensive exercise and there is always the caveat that you miss certain thing in a system.

And considering that you are a student, I truly hope the D200 can meet your demands on a budget and that you can find lens that are cheaper for a budget as in M42 lens and some older Nikon good glasses.

I am serious amateur who are happy with Pentax but there are times that I wish Pentax can improve quickly and decisively to catch up with Nikon and Canon such as AF system and noise control. But lacking FF is NOT the reason that I think of D90 or Canon 50D. It is the inadequate development of AF from K10D to K20D that have me doubt what Pentax is thinking. Whatever system you are in, there are bound to be strength and weaknesses that one has to have some faith and compromise the weaknesses for its strengths.

The Pentax system in K100D/K10D/K20D surpass my need as an amateur and I don't see your reasoning that it can't meet your demands. In all seriousness, you can't expect changing brand will make you a better or professional photographer up a notch. And it is dead wrong to believe that changing brand will save you money in the hobby. If you have not gotten any money out of your hobby, don't count on it that you can someday make big money to justify your current purchase. In other words, please consider not to pay for what you have not earned yet. Perhaps I am conservative thinking and I try to enjoy my current moments not thinking too far ahead, I find it quite odd a reason to switch brand based on professional status on FF camera availability.

Last edited:
Bringing up Benjikan is all well and good but you do realize I hope that he is PAID to do so. I would be willing to shoot any system (yes even Sony) professionally if I was paid to do so. I am glad to hear a former confused soul has come over to the "dark side". The only thing I really have to say about all this is the "big 2" have stayed in he pro market through good and bad times and have been innovating all the time. The "other 3" are either Jonny come latelys or are in and out of the market depending on the whims of current buying trends.

I have NEVER been paid by Pentax to use their gear. I was given gear by Pentax, but that is normal for those being sponsored by a manufacturer. I am no longer sponsored by Pentax and am still using my 3xK10D's and 3xK20D's. I really love Pentax glass and in camera shake reduction. I will stay with Pentax for the time being. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back