all my film camera friends

Dew

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
hey all my film camera friends :D .. this digital baby has been thinking about experimenting with a film camera for the past couple of weeks ...

ever since i've been a photoenthusiast, i've learned and used a digital cam (and i still love my digital cam :D) ... but i want to expand my horizons in the craft of photography.. i need a new mountain to climb :D

so any comments/suggestions or help would be gladly appreciated ... we're gonna go by the camera store and take a peek today :D ... doxx is gonna look into some rangefinders .. i got my eyes on a 35mm or medium format (although he says it may be too expensive :? )

I've been playing with my Canon Elan 7 since April, and I love it. It cost a fair chunk of change, but I think it was worth it. It has plenty of neat features (most of which I have yet to experiment with), and it's a sturdy camera. I'm pretty biased though, my Canon is the first SLR I've used. ;)

Rangefinder cameras are great. I'm not sure how much medium format rangefinders are though.

I know you mentioned he might like a Leica... well we all would :p Voigtlander makes a damn fine rangefinder. [info here] It takes Leica mount lenses and the body is only $250.

That has a focal plane shutter though. So if you need stealth, you'll want the M5.

the camera shops were closed :( .. so we're gonna take a peek on ebay .. guess im gonna be looking into a 35mm (not too pricey yet, not until i want to upgrade :p ) .. fully manual of course and i want to shoot film in b&w only

any ideas of the different types of b&w film and the better brands? .. and if anybody knows a spot where we can get a deal on film would be great :D

oh, were gonna develop our own film .. and thought about scanning the negatives

Vodoo, thanks a lot for the link - I like the Voigtlander Bessa rangefinder a lot... I'm thinking if I go for the Bessa R (Leica screwmount) or the R2 (Leica M mount) - I have found a few great russian screwmount lenses on ebay (a 50mm f2 goes for $60)

that rangefinder sounds interesting, but im afraid of it for now :lol: ... one baby step at a time :eek:

i guess i've narrowed it down to 2 (we'll doxx did for me anyway :p) a pentax and a canon rebel (think thats the one :scratch: ) ... although the pentax is totally manual (trying to take me "back to basics" he says ... yeh right :lmao: ) ... but sometimes i dont want to have to think too much and i use aperture priority (outdoors when the light is changing fast) .. the canon is looking more attractive :D

The Rebel can be used in full manual mode, but IMO it would not be easy to use in manual, because it has only a one dial to control both the f-stop and shutter speed, you have to hold down a toggle button to switch between the two, but on the plus side you could acquire some of doxx 10D lenses to use with it

thats the upside of it, the lens we can share :D ... but we'd still have to buy one more

I'm excited for ya, Dew! I just love shooting film, and have only "played" with a few digital cams. Whatever you get, you should have a great time. It's a whole different mindset, just having to think about it all before you shoot your image, and THEN of course you have to wait to see your shots. For me, that's part of the intrigue and mystique that I feel about photography anyway, so it just doesn't bother me. (Well, of course my hubby develops everything and it's still SO easy for me to just tell him to hurry the hell up.) :LOL:

I shot everything on aperture priority for years, and only recently forced myself to go through a few months of classes where everything had to be done manually. Now, I want everything manual (except focus) as long as the situation allows for it. I keep telling myself I can flip that switch anytime I want, but somehow every time I pick up the Pentax, it's on "M". :sillysmi: Would never have thought I'd feel this way 6 months ago. Have fun!!

i dont mind using manual (my digital cam has fully manual capabilites and also RAW mode) ... i use manual for studio stuff where i can control the lighting

most times when we're shooting outdoors, the light changes every 5 mins :? ... or a tall building is blocking it .... i just need that option open (aperture priority) :lol:

he's gonna teach me to develop the film ... but im sure my first couple of rolls are gonna be busted up :lol: ... plus i wanna shoot b&w only ... geese, i gotta pay attention to my greys :roll:

Try a Canon Elan, either and Elan II or Elan 7 has two knobs for shutter and aperture, plus will fit Doxx's lenses. I love my Elan, payed 400 for it on ebay, i am sure you can find one cheaper now though. The rebels are still going for a pretty penny on ebay i was noticing, the TI is around $250
For the same price i am positive you caould get an Elan II and prolly a 7 for that or about $20 bucks more.

Yay! Welcome to the side of light and virtuousness, Dew! As opposed to the dark, evil forces of digital. ;) Have a great time. Can't wait to see you in the darkroom forum! :D

terri said:
THEN of course you have to wait to see your shots. For me, that's part of the intrigue and mystique that I feel about photography anyway

Yes, plus the thrill of discovery when you find an old roll that you forgot to develop and have no idea what it is, or even if you just take a while to finish a roll and don't remember whats at the beginning once you finish it! I have one of those in my camera right now... I've gotta finish that thing so I can see what I've been up to! :)

Ive been doing some b&w developing for a while now. I can recomend T-Max 400 and possibly Tri-x (not too much work with it though). Ive been using T-max developer (going to try D-76 and XTOL), kodaks indicater stop bath and Kodafix. Then hypo clear and photoflo to help prevent water stains

Film would be alot cheaper if you bought 35mm in 100' rolls and loaded them yourself (have to do alot of picture taking to see money savings)

You could go with med format www.keh.com sells used mamyia pro bodys and lens for relitivly inexpensive prices. All the equiptment I have bought from them has been in good condition (even bargain rated equiptment)

Hope this helps

Dew,

Here is my 2 cents. I think you are too advanced of a shooter to be shooting a Rebel bump up to an Elan. There are great deals to be had on Ebay.

Steve

Most reactions

New Topics

Back