all play no work....

Outrageous

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
took some shots of my brother whilst we both ran around a shot the little city my father grew up in. Its my first time really shooting people, so C&C is GREATLY appreciated!!!!!

IMG_7594.jpg

IMG_7598.jpg

Since I'm pretty new here and I haven't posted for AGES, I feel somewhat reluctant to just jump in and give cc....

However, well done for stepping out and trying something new. Shooting people is a different ballgame! And kudos for posting for cc - no better way to learn!

The first one is kind of weird.... what is he sitting on? My brain registered that something was off, but I only realized after looking a second time that he is sitting on air.... To me it almost looks like you photoshopped him into the location.

I am a big stickler for "connection" - either with the viewer (via the photographer) or with the environment. With him looking off, I'm wondering what he is looking at? Is he just bored with the process etc. There is no connection with anything or anyone as far as the viewer can see.

The second one, I think could look good if you shot wider open and shallower DOF so that your subject stood out. What were you settings? What lens did you shoot with? I like his pose, it is a nice masculine pose and although he is looking serious, I don't get the impression that he is bored. Watch for the line running through his head.

All in all, I think you did well for your first time!

Anelle

C&C is appreciated no matter how long you've been out. its always somethin to work with.

he's actually doing that with his legs. he can apparently do this for a while cause i shot it for at least a minute.

the second one was with the standard 18-55mm canon kit lense, with UV and CP filter on it. settings were:
Camera Make: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS REBEL T1i
Image Date: 2009:09:05 18:39:49
Flash Used: No
Focal Length: 18.0mm
CCD Width: NaNmm
Exposure Time: 0.0020 s (1/500)
Aperture: f/5.6
ISO equiv: 400
White Balance: Auto
Metering Mode: Center Weight
Exposure: aperture priority (semi-auto)

I just bought a 50mm fixed for some more shots, i have decided to also only shoot people for the next month or two to get better and get a mindset for portraits. Yeah, i didnt think about the line at all, wow, and since you said it it looks horrible.

the second one was with the standard 18-55mm canon kit lense, with UV and CP filter on it. settings were:
Camera Make: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS REBEL T1i
Image Date: 2009:09:05 18:39:49
Flash Used: No
Focal Length: 18.0mm
CCD Width: NaNmm
Exposure Time: 0.0020 s (1/500)
Aperture: f/5.6
ISO equiv: 400
White Balance: Auto
Metering Mode: Center Weight
Exposure: aperture priority (semi-auto)

I just bought a 50mm fixed for some more shots, i have decided to also only shoot people for the next month or two to get better and get a mindset for portraits. Yeah, i didnt think about the line at all, wow, and since you said it it looks horrible.

Now that's your biggest problem right there. You needed a flash to balance the exposure of the scene. The sky is blown, and the subject is underexposed. That says to me that you were probably shooting into the sun, or in a very dark location (though into the sun being most likely given the rim light). If the sun was relatively high, a single Speedlite (even a 580EXII) wouldn't even be enough.

A word of advice, when shooting into the sun, drop all your filters. They increase the risk of flare, will likely cause ghosting, and in this case by piling on two of them you got vignetting in the corners, and it may have caused the overall softness of the image as well.

Most reactions

Back