All rounder lens needed for traveling

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by homer911, May 15, 2006.

1. homer911

homer911 TPF Noob!

Hi all,

I would like some advice on a lens for travelling. Mainly for landscapes/cityscapes and portraits.

I was thinking of the canon 17-40mm L, maybe a bit too $$$. Or the cheaper sigma 24-70mm EX.

Any body with the right info out there.:)

Cheers

2. darich

darich TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'd say if you're on 35mm or a full frame sensor your better bet would be the 24-70.
    If you're using something with a focal length factor then the 17-40 may be more useful.
    Ideally I'd want to carry more than one lens but if you're limited to one then it kind of depends on what camera you have.

3. benhasajeep

benhasajeep TPF Noob!

I have the Sigma 27-70 in the Canon flavor. I have not had a chance to give it a full work out. It's a good lens as far as I can tell. Not quite as wide as I would like it.

You might consider the Tamron 18-200. Not great in any one aspect. But very good through out most. Unless your going poster sized print outs. I think it would be the optimum lens for travel for those not wanting to carry a bag full of lenses.

4. DepthAfield

DepthAfield TPF Noob!

For whatever it’s worth…

My favorite all around lens is a Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 VR. Not sure if Tamron builds an equivalent, but surely Canon does.