All you mommas and papas out there!

Like I said: my own parents did ONCE, but by then I was 27 ...

Come to think of it, my parents didn't like any of my school flirt boy-friends, and few of the more serious ones, the only one they ever liked from the start is the one who'll have been my husband of 20 years in June of this year...

Which shows me that sometimes parents may even be a little right in their estimation of their daughter's partner ...

There is actually a psychological explanation to this that effects both reactions equally. In most cases (Not all) the youths tend to subconsciously be drawn towards individuals most similar to their parent of the opposite gender.

The reactions to this can go one of two ways, generally pending the way the parent acted during that period of their lives:

For this we will go from the young daughter pov. Here is this new boy friend just like her dad but thirty years younger.

#1. Mom: Will with out a doubt see this (weather at first sight or over a few visits) having married the father knows how things progressed back at the time. Thought process will likely be:

Did I like how things progressed
  • Was her father too fast, too opportunistic
    • yes
      • no, I don't like the thought of my doughter going threw that - dis-like
    • No
      • he he I remember those days they where great.- like

#2. Dad: Will with out a doubt see this (weather at first sight or over a few visits) having been in the same boat as this new boyfriend thirty some odd years ago, Thought process will likely be:

Did I behave the way I should have
  • Was I a sexually driven beast
    • yes
      • no, get the hell away form my doughter ya little perv - dis-like
    • No
      • he he I remember those days they where great. - like

The same generally applies to polar opposites of parent as well.

Granted this is all generalization of subconscious thought but.....

But think about the line up at the Ambassador Bridge. They might be stuck in traffic for hours! :shock:

PS Sideburns, your college is a hop skip and a jump away from some of my relatives place (and no I am not stalking anyone, just exercising my facebook skills)

Well, I was wondering how you knew the ambassador bridge so well..but I guess it's not exactly a fancy landmark.

I live right next to the college...it's pretty good time. I don't mind your facebook skills. Feel free to message me or whatever...I'm a social person. (where are you from then?)

Well, even though I am a "momma", even one of a girl almost your new girl-friend's age (only almost), I am looking at the whole situation from my German point of view, and that changes things quite a bit, I think. For all this "dating" is sooo different here than it seems to be over there (while it may yet be different in Canada from what it's like in the States, little do I know).

But - speaking from a mother's point-of-view I must say that at first, of course, any new boy-friend my daughter would come present me would be a stranger to me. (No boys in the neighbourhood anywhere here with whom she might already have played in the sandpit, you know). So there would always be that little "obstacle" to be overcome, by both, the boy - and us, her parents.

But then I wouldn't put too much meaning into a 16-year-old meeting a boy, and here is where the differences might start. I don't know HOW much meaning there is in something like "dating" over there? What does it mean - will they even have sex? Is that what it means?

THAT aspect would require a couple of good talks between mother and daughter, I think, so the daughter gets the very best, most understanding advice on how to deal with things and how to take the necessary precautions, of course.

Other than that, though, if "dating" means going to the movies, for walks holding hands, a bit of hugging and kissing, maybe the odd bit of fondling, but no more, I would not really care too much and put too much thought into things. My daughter needs the time to learn who is good for her and who isn't, the boy is supposedly on the same path ... I would wish for him to come round the house, but never to anything official such as a family dinner with the table laid out extra nice and him forced to wear clothes he would not normally wear only to make an impression on me. Such things simply aren't DONE in my country.

Come to think of it, my parents didn't like any of my school flirt boy-friends, and few of the more serious ones, the only one they ever liked from the start is the one who'll have been my husband of 20 years in June of this year...

Which shows me that sometimes parents may even be a little right in their estimation of their daughter's partner ...

Well, to clear things up. Usually dating in Canada/US is the same...and I will not try and beat around the bush...sex is something that happens regularly in North American teenaged relationships. Parents usually do not know about it, however...
Well...usually the guys parents figure it out...but for the most part, the girls parents are in denial and won't admit it.

I appreciate your help. Talking to people that are actually old enough to know what's going on is useful....

Everyone knows about the sex they just won't admit it for the most part unlike those in the land of our perverted forefathers (bonus points for recognizing the quote in there and the movie it is from).

show your humorous side by laughing... show your sensitive side by crying... show your serious side by looking interested.... and show your intelligence by doing the 7 times table....

Do all of the above at the exact same time the moment you lay eyes on her parents.

Or... just listen to Lafoto :mrgreen:

na serious i dont know much about this stuff other then to never walk dog sh!t into thier house.

Well, I was wondering how you knew the ambassador bridge so well..but I guess it's not exactly a fancy landmark.

I live right next to the college...it's pretty good time. I don't mind your facebook skills. Feel free to message me or whatever...I'm a social person. (where are you from then?)

No, unfortunately I don't think more then 2% of Canadians in the west would know what the Ambassador Bridge is :lol:
I am in Calgary, however, all my relatives are in/around your area, primarily Harrow/Essex but a small handful in Windsor. Joke of the family is walking into a small town such as Harrow with one of the older relatives and they will introduce you to every extended relative you have - which is everyone you bump into practically. Scary stuff I tell you!

(Just to show how deeply engrained we are there, assuming you know who Jack Miner is (think Canadian geese) after my grandmother was born he went right up to her father the next day saying "_____, you have had five girls and not a one you have named after my wife." Needless to say that is how my grandmother got her middle name :lol:)

Everyone knows about the sex they just won't admit it for the most part unlike those in the land of our perverted forefathers (bonus points for recognizing the quote in there and the movie it is from).

Eurotrip.
"Here's a fun fact: DUDE you made out with your sister!"

No, unfortunately I don't think more then 2% of Canadians in the west would know what the Ambassador Bridge is :lol:
I am in Calgary, however, all my relatives are in/around your area, primarily Harrow/Essex but a small handful in Windsor. Joke of the family is walking into a small town such as Harrow with one of the older relatives and they will introduce you to every extended relative you have - which is everyone you bump into practically. Scary stuff I tell you!

(Just to show how deeply engrained we are there, assuming you know who Jack Miner is (think Canadian geese) after my grandmother was born he went right up to her father the next day saying "_____, you have had five girls and not a one you have named after my wife." Needless to say that is how my grandmother got her middle name :lol:)

Ahhhh I see. Yes, I know about Jack Miner.

Interesting...
(Harrow is hilarious btw...that place is like a trip to the 40s.

Dude, you're in COLLEGE. why are you bothering with a girl in HIGH SCHOOL?

^^^ would be my thoughts if i were the dad of the little girl whom you're trying to get into the pants of.

big difference between high school and college, especially a JUNIOR in high school.

you should try to meet chicks that are in COLLEGE.
and leave the little high school girls alone..

Dude, you're in COLLEGE. why are you bothering with a girl in HIGH SCHOOL?

^^^ would be my thoughts if i were the dad of the little girl whom you're trying to get into the pants of.

big difference between high school and college, especially a JUNIOR in high school.

you should try to meet chicks that are in COLLEGE.
and leave the little high school girls alone..

ok I'm saying that too

for the most part, the girls parents are in denial and won't admit it.

lol.. uhhh, NOT.

don't kid yourself bro.
yes, there are some very naive people in this world.
but come on, you act like her dad wasn't chasing girls around when he was younger.
i have to assume he was chasing girls around that were his age.

two years is not a huge age difference... if you're 37.
a guy in college after a girl in high school, kinda creepy.

sorry to come of harsh, but as you probably guessed, i have a daughter.
whom will not be dating college boys while she's in high school.

this is why i lift weights at the gym.
and have a lot of guns.
and a big Rottweiler. :lol:

He's a punk.

maybe, maybe not. Thats not my point though. Just providing prospective. The GOLDEN perspective. This is one point that will never change. Not until daddies little girl is independent and on her own.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back