allergies

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by ferny, Jan 31, 2005.

1. ferny

ferny TPF Noob!

I'm wondering, what are you guys allergic to? As far as I know, I'm not allergic to anything.

2. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Lucky you!
    Me neither.
    OK, I once got stung by a bee (not a wasp) and the reaction my body showed was somewhat fierce, my hand and arm up to my ellbow looking as if inflated...

Husband and son are highly allergic to very many things, though and I don't envy them in the least.

3. hobbes28

hobbes28 Incredible Supporting Member

I'm allergic to all seafood and Benadryl. All of them cause the same reaction of my throat swelling to the size of a basketball and a very fast drive to the hospital.

4. Scurra

Scurra TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm allergic to work... does that count?

5. Alison

Alison Swiss Army Friend Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Most all antibiotics, penicillin, erythromicin and keflex being the big ones. All shellfish and dust mites too. I had allergy shots when I was younger that helped a lot. I also carry an epi-pen with me just in case I accidentially eat some shellfish, like Hobbes I need a very quick ride to the hospital but the epi-pen can give me extra time.

6. lizheaemma

lizheaemma TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Wow, between you and Hobbes! Have you taught you son how to dial 911?
    How are they for allergies?

I'm allergic or (sensetive) to most chemial cleaners and really unnatural smelly things like perfume and hair spray, artifical sweetener and msg.

I'm horrible to try to feed and terrible in resteraunts!:confused:

7. ferny

ferny TPF Noob!

So you people who are allergic to stuff, how did you first find out? I'm guessing you had a reaction that made you rush to the doctor. Do they really do those skin test things to find out what your body doesn't like?

8. ferny

ferny TPF Noob!

What's msg?

9. Alison

Photos OK to edit
    For the seafood I had a lobster dinner one night on Cape Cod and about 10 minutes after we started eating my throat got very sore. It got to where I could barely swallow and my Mom called 911. I was about 13 at the time I think. After that they did a full panel of allergy testing and the little dots that show if you are allergic are usually about the size of a quarter. My arm turned red from my wrist to my elbow with shrimp and lobster. For the medications I got hives and had similar problems with my throat closing.

10. lizheaemma

lizheaemma TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
  11. Alison

Photos OK to edit
    So far the boys are pretty good allergywise. My youngest has a sensitivity to a lot of foods when I was nursing. I had to cut out tomatoes, all dairy and chocolate :shock:. It was the best diet I was ever on :mrgreen:. He's also allergic to Zythromax, got a rash. Otherwise (let me knock on wood) they haven't had anything serious.

12. fadingaway1986

fadingaway1986 I Burn Easily :(

Photos OK to edit
    I'm allergic to penicillin and sulphur (the only antibiotic I can take is erythromycin)...

and i'm also allergic to wasps...

I don't know what happens when i have penicillin and sulphur because they found out when i was too young to remember... But mum said the doctors have said I am only allowed to have it under life-threatening situations.. (so i assume its very serious?)

When I get stung by a wasp - around the area I was stung swells up... and while most people would get a red spot somewhat comparable to a mosquito bite, I get a red raised "spot" comparable to the size of a squashed tennis ball... (or maybe a cd would be a better description?)

Not sure when we found out about the wasps either...

But one of the stories I remember about wasps...

It must have been the school holidays and my brother and I were home, and mum and dad at work... I went off to check the mail... I got the mail... and went to walk back down the driveway (which was pretty long) and suddenly realised I was being attacked by wasps... I ran inside screaming - and told my brother to get our neighbour... which he did... and she came back, and just tipped vinegar all over me... Turns out a bunch of european wasps had built a nest under the letterbox... And when I went to get the mail - they thought I was coming to hurt them - so they beat me to it... I was covered in red marks all over my legs for aggggeeesss...

... and the funny thing is - I still remember what was in the mail... It was an envelope that the yellow pages sends out with all those stupid little advertisements. (Like mailing sticker ads, etc)... I shudder everytime those arrive in the mail now...

Yup... that was another long story you didn't wanna know!