Almost done baking! (may not be worksafe)

deb said:
So, it's not about the picture anymore. If a grown man puts his work on a forum, he can't wear his heart on his sleeve.

First, what does it matter if I'm a man or not? That's a pretty sexist view...

Second, I could care less whether you have positive feelings or negative feelings regarding my work. I believe my work can stand on its own. I seem to be earning a share of my living from my work, so that's enough justification for me. What I am trying to do is to explore and understand your hypocracy.

I thought this was a photography forum where the quality of a photograph was discussed. Quality, including everything from the physical lighting, setting, exposure, model and composition to the tone, mood, intent and emotion.

Then why didn't you discuss any of that? All you did was personally attack me for putting portraits of my pregnant wife in the forum. In case you forgot, here are your words again: "I have no problem with the technical aspects of the shots, but I do wonder why you are so quick to share something this personal. When I was pregnant, I allowed shots to be made, but they've been kept very private. Maybe it's old fashioned but I still believe there is such a thing as too much sharing.

I do think that sharing the pictures of the baby will be more appropriate."
(ital mine)
That quote speaks nothing of any technical aspect of the photograph. In fact, you said you had nothing technical to say about it! Perhaps you need to take some time and get your thoughts and opinions in order before you start attacking people who have been on this board much longer than you have.

The photograph invoked a response from me, but obviously shark is not interested in knowing how someone other than his "friend" here will interpret his work.
I am interested in how my work is interpreted. I am not, however, interested in your "bible-belt", hypocritical wanderings.

Voovoo, I apologize for my part in making your thread a war room. Perhaps the moderators will move all of t
he unrelated posts to another thread.

Interesting that you brought this up only after I did. But then again, maybe it's not interesting. It doesn't seem that thought for others enters much in your mind.

Yes, your apology to voodoo did make me realize that our discussion in taking place in the wrong venue.

I was trying to express a reaction to your photo without being harsh and I failed miserably.

Good luck.

deb said:
So, it's not about the picture anymore. If a grown man puts his work on a forum, he can't wear his heart on his sleeve.

I thought this was a photography forum where the quality of a photograph was discussed. Quality, including everything from the physical lighting, setting, exposure, model and composition to the tone, mood, intent and emotion.

The photograph invoked a response from me, but obviously shark is not interested in knowing how someone other than his "friend" here will interpret his work.

Voovoo, I apologize for my part in making your thread a war room. Perhaps the moderators will move all of the unrelated posts to another thread.

it was always about the picture, you fool. you commented not on mechanics or technicals for shark's photos, what you chose to critique instead is style. style is a very personal thing, as you have yourself intimated (at least you undertstand that much). since your comments were based on style, you should have had the common decency to take into account the context. style is very much subjective and dependant on prior knowledge and experience, hence there is not right or wrong style, as such. your initial comments came across as holier-than-thou and disaproving, and such invective is completely uncalled for when all shark was doing was sharing a very tender moment in time and life with all of us. instead of accepting the gift of sharing, you pissed all over him. bad enough to begin with, but your continued lack of sensitivity has compounded the situation.
john happens to be a damn talented person, deb. when he posts photos in the critical forum, he looks for, accepts, and learns from bare-knuckle critique. trust me, he does not put photos up simply to have people blow sunshine up his ass. he most certainly is interested in what "non-friends" have to say about his work, but he expects and deserves respect even then. i know this, because i know him. before you make subjective, hurtful comments like you did initially, you should take time to know your audience.
this is an artist community, we are used to critique, and sometimes real tough critique. what we don't accept is moralistic preaching compounded by insensitive rationalization.

and the award for best quote on this thread goes to:

Osmer_Toby said:
...to have people blow sunshine up his ass.

:D :D :D :D

:sun:
moon.gif

deb,

while you are new here and some of us value your opinion on the technical aspects of photography, i think a bit of caution should have been executed on your part. your words, whether you meant them to or not, came across as abrasive, harsh, and ill timed. shark and his beautiful wife have really really tried so very hard for this natural situation to happen. if i was shark, i would take her out in a crowd of people and take her picture until his finger fell off.

john, beautiful picture.

chad, beautiful picture.

matt

MDowdey said:
deb,

while you are new here and some of us value your opinion on the technical aspects of photography, i think a bit of caution should have been executed on your part. your words, whether you meant them to or not, came across as abrasive, harsh, and ill timed. shark and his beautiful wife have really really tried so very hard for this natural situation to happen. if i was shark, i would take her out in a crowd of people and take her picture until his finger fell off.

john, beautiful picture.

chad, beautiful picture.

matt
Wise words from MD. I completely agree.

voodoocat said:
MDowdey said:
deb,

john, beautiful picture.

chad, beautiful picture.

matt
Wise words from MD. I completely agree.

Ditto

Couldn't said better

Fantastic portrait, Vood. It's one of the best maternity portraits I've ever seen.

And I'm going to have search out Shark's post to understand this controversy....

Edit: hmmm, just seems like a difference of opinion that got blown out of hand. I imagine if Deb and Shark were talking face to face it wouldn't have ever gotten so heated. Remember everyone, if we were all the same then this forum would be really boring.

Deb

It is indeed a photography forum. Keeping that in mind , Shark posted some beautiful shots , of his beautiful wife ....and when he did that he was not asking to be judged on a 'moralistic' viewpoint.
If I could be so bold as to speak for Shark , he wasnt interested in your view that a man shouldnt share images of his pregnant wife.

You made his post about something other then what it is.

What most people are having trouble with understanding are these statements :

deb said:
"I do wonder why you are so quick to share something this personal. When I was pregnant, I allowed shots to be made, but they've been kept very private. Maybe it's old fashioned but I still believe there is such a thing as too much sharing. "

deb said:
"There is just something in my mind that takes away from the intimacy when it is made too public."

And then you go on to contradict yourself totally whilst commenting on Voodoo's beautiful picture of HIS pregnant wife :scratch:

When confronted with this contradiction you try to then turn it into a purely technical arguement " my idea of art vs your idea of art " ... forgetting that your original 'arguement' was of the pretty personal variety.

If you're going to comment on someones photos it would be appreciated if you refrain from passing judgement on the poster.

Thank you :)

voodoocat said:

NOW .....

Voods , you know how much I admire your photos and I have to say this is up there as my fave shot of yours.

Your wife is an absolutely gorgeous woman and your photo captures her beauty well !

I am still trying to develop an eye for technical details , in order to give people helpful critique , but because I'm still just a beginner I can only comment on what I like about a photo....

The lighting is wonderful , it makes her skin look dewy and soft. Likewise with her pose ; shes sitting in a relaxed manner and her facial expression is contemplative and this also adds to the soft mood of the overall photo.
The important part of this shot is , of course , her preggie belly and her face and you achieved keeping the attention on those two areas very well with your lighting.
Its sorta a feelin of 'The calm before the happy storm ' so to speak ;).

Enlarge it , frame it and hang it my friend :thumbsup: :hug:

voods, thats gorgeous (though i had to flip through few pages, to get here ;)) Definately glows, the b&w is beautiful. I am sure the wife loves this shot!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back