Almost done spending money...

schuylercat

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Thank God for tax returns.

I made the second-to-last order to complete my wedding photography kit today - we won't talk about how much it cost. Here's my total inventory:

Canon EOS 40D primary body (new)
Canon BG-E2N battery grip for 40D(bought today, not here yet)
Canon EOS Rebel xti backup body (new)
Canon RC1 wireless remote release for Rebel (had this)
Canon EF 17-40 f/4L lens (bought today, not here yet)
Canon EF 28-80 f/2.8L lens (had this)
Canon EF-S 18-55 F/4-5.6 Lens (came with Rebel)
Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSC lens (bought today, not here yet)
Tiffen 77mm Circular Polarizer (had this)
2 Canon Speedlite 580EX flashes (new)
Canon ST-E2 infrared flash transmitter (new)
Canon off-camera shoe cord (had this)
Stroboframe Quick Flip flash bracket (had this)
2 Sto-Fen white cheap-ass flash diffusers (bought today, not here yet)
Photoflex Litedisk 40" round white/gold folding reflector (had this)
16 Sanyo Eneloop AA batteries (new)
2 LaCrosse BP800 battery conditioner – chargers (new)
Canon stock BP511 battery (came with 40D)
2 Sterlingtek BP511 batteries (bought yesterday, not here yet)
2 Canon CG-580 battery chargers (1 bought today, not here yet, 1 came with 40D)
Dane-Elec 2GB compact flash card (came with 40D)
3 SanDisk Extreme III 2GB compact flash cards (new)

I ordered the Canon 17-40 and Sigma 10-22 lenses today: I agonized over them both. I was considering the 17-55 IS, the 16-35 f/2.8L...none of which seems to be in stock ANYWHERE in Charlotte, NC, so I couldn't mess with them. After reading wedding photographer comments and blog entries and reviewing a gazillion Flickr entries shot with these two lenses, I bought the Canon 17-40 for the workhorse lens and the sigma for fun/arsty shots and personal use. Both purchases were through Amazon and they are returnable if I want.

I also realized that my 28-80 has consistently rated higher than new L series glass, and a "medium long" telephoto lens could be convenient. Plus, I can't seem to part with it. I'll get a 70-200 F/2.8 someday. Maybe next tax season?

So I have no more money :er:.

But I have an almost complete kit for weddings. I say "almost" because I will get at least 2 more 2GB cards, another BP511, and one more spare battery for the Rebel. I might get a grip for the rebel too, but the bank I need to rob for that is well-guarded...

I am going to get a chance to practice with a professional who's work I like in the next couple weeks, and we'll work together again a few weeks after that.

So - what am I missing? I mean, other than a retirement account?

Hi Mia! How you feeling?

Ug. Feel better, OK?

Congrats :D

You bought the ST-E2? I would have have skipped that in favor of another 580EX...because the 580 does everything the ST-E2 does but it's also a flash.

Also, you may want to think of a different backup body. Nothing wrong with the XTi...but it's fairly different than the 40D. For the same price, you could get a used 20D or 30D...which are much more alike to the 40D...so you won't have to think when you change cameras during a busy wedding.

Hi Mike,

I bought the ST-E2 becuase it allows me to take both of the 580's off-camera and fire them with ETTL backing me up - quick, dirty cheating without icky shadows. There's a gal on Flickr who does this, with a helper holding a 580 up on a pole and another tripod-mounted (see here http://www.flickr.com/photos/savoir/ ). Ultimately, when I have some time under my belt, I'll drop it on Ebay and get me some radio poppers or something. Adorama had a package deal - the ST-E2 was something like $30 off.

The Rebel? Well, I was looking for a 30D...but WITH the crappy kit lens the XTi was $450 with both warranty cards on Ebay - really, really lucky el-cheap-o bid...plus, it was a gift for my wife! Big cute factor, too: I caught her outside shooting peach blossoms up close in macro today. She'll be on the board soon!

You're right about the change, though - I used to carry a 1N and an A2 - they were different, but not THAT different. The 40D and Rebel are TOTALLY different. I intend to overcome this through practice...practice...practice. When my wife lets me, of course. My dream system would include a 30D (or a 40D?) backup, though. For now, I spent too much already - this is as good as it gets!

Well All I would say you need right now is the 70-200 2.8. You should be just fine with what you have except I might suggest a nice Bogen tripod you don't want to have to lug all that gear around all day do you?. Just remember you will as you go figure out things you need so I would keep a little reserve set aside for after you start shooting so you can fill all those needs you have.

Ah, JIP - right on about the tripod. I have a Bogen 3036 (robust aluminum, 12 foot max height), with a Manfrotto 3047 head. Old school - this thing weighs something like 18 pounds, and while it will support a Volkswagen, it's a bear to lug around. I have an old Slik monopod as well, big thing, 2 1/4" in diameter and just as durable as the Bogen. I'll take that to Canada for the big wedding, but you're right - I need to find a light, steady, and (gulp) cheap tripod. The plasticky Targus piece of crapola I have here wouldn't hold a point and shoot steady.

And...equally good advice about the reserve $$$. It's not much, but I have a few bucks. I'm not quite as broke as I let on, just mostly...;)

Thanks.

Back to tripods, all:

What do you all use? I'm thinking of portability and cost, of course. It will have to support a 40D and a big fat 28-70 L series lens all nice and steady. I can use the head I have - it's one of those tall-looking Manfrottos, but the sticks I have are WAY too big.

I haven't looked at tripods since I bought mine...that was 15 years ago or more. I'll Google it up today, but you guys tend to give pointed, no-nonsense advice.

Anyone?

Big Mike:

The Eneloop Batteries and the LaCrosse Chargers are miraculous! I fired off practice shots with both 580's, metered in-camera, remote with the ST-E2 over the weekend. I didn't worry so much about composition (it was Easter dinner, kids screaming, lotsa action) as I did getting to know the gear and watching the batts.

There were perhaps 250 shots taken with both flashes, bouncing off the cieling and mounted opn a frame. The batts had just started to slow down by that time, and the flashes took a few seconds to recharge...maybe 4-6 seconds. VERY impressive, after that many shots, especially when I realized these were out of the box and had never been charged!

Thanks for the tip, sir.

That is pretty good, for not having to charge them first.

I don't have any Eneloop batteries yet, so I have to make sure to charge all my batteries before a gig. So it would certainly be nice to have batteries that didn't drain on their own.

I know what you are saying about the ST-E2...but considering the price of it (and the amount of money you spent)...I'd just get a third 580EX. That way, you have three units, either of which can be used as a master or slave.

Mike,

NOW I get it. I wonder why I got so much advice to buy the ST-E2? On the good side, I couldn't have afforded another 580 - they're $399 no matter what. The remote ended up costing $165 with the bundle discount, so I'm not out too much there if I Ebay the thing away someday. Still...I coulda hadda Pocket Wizard. One of them, anyway!

Meanwhile, have you seen the latest bits from the Radio Popper site? There are a few assignments in there - one of which made it to Strobist - where the shooters use a Radio Popper mounted atop an ST-E2. Why both? I don't get how it was connected. The write states the "radio popper 'bridges the gap' between the flash and ST-E2'..." I'm very confused.

Meanwhile, my lenses arrived, and I have a VERY full kit which needs a lot of experimenting. Last night's lesson: setting a flash using ETTL 45 degrees to the subject at camera right makes icky shadows, meaning I need a snoot, barn doors, umbrellas, or a softbox; and using a flash full manual as a hair light behind a subject at 1/64 spills a lot of unattractive light on the backdrop...so I need gobos too. Cereal boxes and duct tape, here I come!

Most reactions

Back