Almost too scared to post - first pix for C&C

Raze

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
After reading some of the threads recently I'm almost too scared to post, but we all need to start somewhere.

Please be honest, I can handle tough C&C, I'm a big girl just don't be nasty! :D

All clickable to larger view

1) My first ever pic with my first P&S Richo Caplio G4 - Handheld (before I even heard the term ROT)

2) One of the first with my new P&S Olympus SP560UZ - Handheld

3) Experiment with DOF - Olympus SP560Uz Handheld while semi-stopped in traffic

4) I combined 2 photos for this as I it was a very bright morning so very overexposed and I don't have any ND filters but wanted that silky effect on the water. I know the grass isn't sharp but I thought it looked interesting, on the right path...yes/no? (The main original is on the right for comparison) - Olympus SP560UZ

Last edited:
After reading some of the threads recently I'm almost too scared to post, but we all need to start somewhere.
Please be honest, I can handle tough C&C, I'm a big girl just don't be nasty! :D
Be as harsh as you want about the pics guys, I was referring to some of the posts recently that have been nasty and personal (and not about the images).
I know I've got alot to learn to keep them from looking like snapshots, I have no one at home to help, so I thought I'd throw them up here.

Last edited:
First posted pictures!:thumbup: I like them, the second waster photo is overexposed though, but the other one looks good.
some people get a little silly on here, but don't worry about them
Thanks Hawaii Five-O, I know most people on here are great, but I think it must have been a full moon or Helloween effecting people over the week end!

I know the second water photo is overexposed that was the original just to show what I started with to try and "fix" the first one, it was the only one that had more PP other than cropping and a little colour adjusting.

(Oh, I must have been editing this when you were editing your post :) )

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I just couldn't get the look I wanted on the water without the ND filter so did my best in PP.

Anyone with C&C? - you don't have to C&C all, just pick one - the worst (or the best) and go to town!

Alrighty then....

The first image imo is a nice composition and good subject, but the focus is off and the colors aren't that crisp. The focus point is on the bottom right peddle of the flower. In macro photography focus is incredibly important. This is a shot I would try to recreate and pay special attention to where your focal point is.

The second is one of my favorites. Good strong vivid color, interesting subject, and I really like the composition. This I really don't have anything bad to say.

The third I know you stated was more of an experiment but I'm not loving the composition. To me this looks like one of those "omg i can blur the bg" shot. No offense. IMO this subject doesn't lend it's self to such a shallow dof

The last image I do like. I feel like the quality (focus and some of the PP work) could be improved. I'm not really one to talk as I still struggle with these issues myself. This is another image I would try to recreate when you have the time.

Overall these are all good starts with good ideas behind each. The struggle is just going to be putting all of these elements and everything you have learned into a single image.

Good luck and keep that shutter clicking.

You're doing a great job! Keep it up.

it's a shame that #1 is slighty out of focus... it looks good in general for being the first one... I remember mine, they were a total disaster, not even focused

The third I know you stated was more of an experiment but I'm not loving the composition. To me this looks like one of those "omg i can blur the bg" shot. No offense. IMO this subject doesn't lend it's self to such a shallow dof
Thanks for all your comments smithphoto, I really appreciate them.
As to the one above, I agree 100%, but theres not much you can do when your stuck to a crawl because of roadworks in the middle of a cane field :lol:.

(as usual, clickable to larger version)

Last edited:
The first two are extremely well done, especially so, considering that they were done with a P and S. The weakness in the last two is not a sufficiently strong centre of interest. To point you to the area of composition which includes centre of interest and other important elements in an image check out www.photoinf.com.

I would also suggest that you get practice in cloning out the odd distraction in the background of a shot and selectively brightening or darkening certain areas.

skieur

You are off to a very good start...The most important part of photography doesn't have anything to do with cameras, lenses or settings. It's being able to recognize what would make a good shot. And you have done that. You have a good eye for content and composition. Excellent cropping.
As far as technical aspects, you have the same problems that everyone new to photography has. #1 Focus, #2 Distractors (recognizing and removing them). These will get better with time and practice. So keep shooting and let us see your future work.
Photo #2 is my fav.

Most reactions

Back