Aloha newbie needs a hand

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by BrewOnMaui, Jan 25, 2005.

1. BrewOnMaui

BrewOnMaui TPF Noob!

Aloha, I will be buying a digital rebel SLR (the cheap one)this week. I am unsure of lense types. I will be shooting landscapes and whales etc from a distance (I live on Maui). As many know it is very bright out here and of course reflection from the water maybe a problem. Any ideas on lenses and apertures? I am new at this so I don't want to go to the store and get taken so your advice is much apreciated.

Also while at the store is there any negotiating like packaging things together? I see things on ebay all the time packaging stuff. Any difference between a sigma and canon lense? Should I get the lense that comes with the camera? I also have a film rebel that I bought in 94. I don't use it much but I may start to I am assuming these same lenses will fit that camera as well?

2. Soulreaver

Soulreaver TPF Noob!

Canon and Sigma both make good lenses, it will depend on just what lens you want.You will want a tele for those whales shots.A normal lens is good for landscapes.
    As for the reflections you might get a circular polarizer, it will take a lot of those out of the picture.

3. Digital Matt

Digital Matt alter ego: Analog Matt

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    It sounds like you will need a telephoto lens, if you want to shoot whales. If you don't want to spend alot of money, Sigma makes a 70-300 lens that is decent, and only around $150. If you have money to spend, I'd recommend the Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L IS, and possibly the 1.4x TC. You can also get the 70-200/f4 which is much cheaper, but equally as nice.

I'd also recommend a polarizer as Soulreaver mentioned.

4. will965

will965 TPF Noob!

If you want to reduce glare, shoot with a smaller apeture.