Alright, so here's my first attempt at portraits

frXnz kafka

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I've never been much of a fan of portrait photography, but I didn't have much of a choice here. I've got a portrait assignment due next week (B&W film, so I won't be using these) and I figured I might as well practice with the old dSLR. Let me know how I did.

1. Atop a mountain at Acadia National Park
IMG_1718.jpg

2. Playing around with lighting here. Just a (very hot) shop light from Home Depot
IMG_1780.jpg

3. Playing with light again
IMG_1784.jpg

4. Mirror shot
IMG_1917.jpg

5. Just using the room light here. A mix of tungsten and fluorescent
IMG_1946.jpg

6. This is the only shot I used a flash on. I tried making a snoot out of a piece of drawing paper. It didn't work quite the way I hoped ;)
IMG_1956.jpg

I like 4 & 5 quite a bit. Feels like there should be some kind of story with them ;)

In all but 1 shot she is looking down though. I'm not saying she has to look right into the camer but she has pretty eyes why not have a go at capturing some kind of emotion or something??

I like 4 & 5 quite a bit. Feels like there should be some kind of story with them ;)

In all but 1 shot she is looking down though. I'm not saying she has to look right into the camer but she has pretty eyes why not have a go at capturing some kind of emotion or something??
Thanks for the input. I guess I was focusing more on playing around with angles and light than with the actual pose. But I'll definitely take that into consideration when it comes time to start shooting the film :)

#1 She's too small in the shot.
#2 I like it. A little soft but it works because of her movement. I like the light, it has a photojournalistic feel to it.
#3 Lighting not flattering at all.
#4 I like this, again a PJ feel, tells a story.
#5 I like it, a little busy, but a crop would fix that up.
#6 I like this too. Needs a little off the top. The direct light spotlights her at her canvas.
Over all nice job.

The last one seems dark. The first one is the best.

What a beautiful woman. :)

Honestly I like #2. Of the photos you posted it has movement and some sense of dynamism.

Most reactions

Back