also about x-rays but in different aspect

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by mentos_007, Aug 6, 2005.

1. mentos_007

mentos_007 The Freshmaker!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    in a week I'm flying to London for a meetup. And it will be my first flight by plane... is it safe to let the airport stuff scan my digital camera with x-rays? Do I need to take the batteries out first? I'm a bit afraid of letting the rays scan my cam - after all it's electronic device... what do you think?

2. amoki

amoki TPF Noob!

I don't think that'll be a problem... X-ray is EM waves (photons related, all you need to know :) ) , and basically digital sensors detects photons (light is comprises of photons) to create a digital image... however if your digital sensor is not even on it wouldn't work! Photons from the X-ray will just "bounce off" the surface when in contact with your sensor. Probably wouldn't do any harm to your digital equipment (whether battery is on or not).

X-ray will damage film on high ISOs because of the nature of film itself: film are basically lattices of silver nitrate. Photons from the X-ray changes the lattice structure of the molecules even before the film are used (high ISOs tend to have slightly weaker intermolecular bond between the Silver-nitrate ions) ... so technically what you get from of a X-ray-ed film is a "exposed" film even before you use it :lol: .

If you are still worried just carry your camera on your body :wink:

3. doenoe

doenoe TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i recently read somewhere on the net, that you can ask if they can check your camera stuff by hand. Forgot where i read it though. Think it was somewhere on this forum.
    Greetz

4. Meysha

Meysha still being picky Vicky

Photos NOT OK to edit
    They won't handcheck your camera, and there's no need to. Just put it through the x-ray machine. It'll be fine. I've put my 350D through a couple of times and it's fine. I also put my small P&S Digital camera through what seems like a hundred times and there's no problem. It won't affect it from what I've read.

5. fadingaway1986

fadingaway1986 I Burn Easily :(

Photos OK to edit
    But I would carry it on...

Those airplane loader people are rough with bags

6. vonDrehle

vonDrehle TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I've taken my digital with me to Chicage, Miami, and the Bahamas recently and it still works fine. I carried it on each time.

7. mentos_007

mentos_007 The Freshmaker!

Photos OK to edit
    on? one the neck? seriously?

8. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit

You don't have to carry it on your neck all the time, but don't put it in your suitcase to be checked. Just take a carry-on bag and keep all your important stuff in there.

Actually, if you are going on a short trip...it is really helpful to put all of your things into a carry on bag...and not check anything. Sometimes you can get away with a slightly larger carry-on bag than they normally allow. It's so much easier to travel when you have all your luggage with you at all times.