altar shots issue

Discussion in 'The Professional Gallery' started by guitarkid, Oct 17, 2006.

1. guitarkid

guitarkid TPF Noob!

more than half my altar shots of the bride and groom turn out underlit with the reddish hue, as if there was no flash. and yet...i'm shooting with a 30D and 580 flash. luckily i shoot in raw, i can correct most of the shots in CS2. BUT, i don't get it. from what i remember, the iso is at 400, 1/60, 5.6, and i'm at around 10 feet from them. i don't get it.

usually when i'm shooting the reception it's at iso 800 and sometimes yes, even 1000 so i can get 1/30 with a 5.6

i do white balancing adjustment by usually clicking on the bride's dress or priest's robe in CS2. then adjust the hue / saturation until it looks good. by the way, how long do you spend editing 800 RAW files? just curious if you spend a lot of time with the histograms.

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Can you post an example? What mode are you shooting in?

It's rather common for people to find that their camera will slightly underexpose with a Canon flash. (This is probably because the engineers wanted to keep us from blowing the highlights.) So they will dial in some FEC and are happy with that.

A reddish hue could be caused by an incorrectly set WB...or it could come from the ambient light in the church....we will have to see.

3. W.Smith

W.Smith TPF Noob!

My knee-jerk reaction would be to suspect the flash didn't fire at full power. Maybe it was too soon after the previous exposure-with-full-flash?
    But hey, it could be a few other things too I suppose.
    An actual photo posted here might shed more light on the subject . . .
    :wink:

4. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    In CS2 it would take ages probably. But with a proper RAW converter this can be done much faster. In the RAW converter I correct lens distortions, CA, crop, sharpen, do white balance, reduce ISO noise, stamp out dust marks and do minor corrections to exposure ... I don't play much with curves.

I only use CS2 when more complicated manipulations are required because I mucked up the shot.

5. guitarkid

guitarkid TPF Noob!

i will post a before and after. i do everything now in CS2 bridge. i'm still learning it and tool around with the settings until i see what i like. as far as the flash not recycling, i'm only taking 1 shot every 5 to 10 seconds with fresh batteries and i shoot on nothing but manual. i don't use any custom settings or modes. i don't believe in them. i can post some shots with no processing before and after.

steve