Alternative Lens

saltydog3317

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I would really love to own the 70 - 200 F2.8 lens for my Nikon Camera but the problem is it is so damb expensive and basically out of my reach.
AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED
I currently own the 55 - 200 VR lens but want to find a faster lens for taking pictures while lighting is low. I was at Ottawa Bluesfest and took great pictures while I had decent light but the pictures I took after it was dark were not very good. I know a few people who had the Nikkor 70 - 200 F2.8 said their pictures turn out great at night shows.
What is another zoom lens similar to this but not so expensive?
Is there a cheaper alternative that will still give me great quality?

Thanks Kevin

What is another zoom lens similar to this but not so expensive?
Is there a cheaper alternative that will still give me great quality?

I guess this is the search for the holy grail! Very tough question cause as you pay less the quaility goes down!

Nikon 80-200 2.8 no question. It's 2.8, its built like a tank, super sharp, and used can be had for less then 800, sometimes much less. Only problem, is it won't autofocus on your d40, the sigma will, if you really want autofocus, go with the sigma.

Look into Tokina.
I spoke with B&H Rep today regarding prices on Nikon glass, he told me that some years ago, Tokina hired bunch of Nikon engineers to work on their glass.
I used to own Tamron 18-200 3.5-6.3. The zoom range was really good on it, but usually had to do some post processing like sharpening on it.
Good luck
Joe.

My only question is, how sharp is the Sigma? I dont plan on staying with the D40. I have thought about buying a D80 or even a D300 at some point.
How good is the Sigma compared to the Nikon lenses?
I would love to see some pictures taken with the Sigma 70-200.

My only question is, how sharp is the Sigma? I dont plan on staying with the D40. I have thought about buying a D80 or even a D300 at some point.
How good is the Sigma compared to the Nikon lenses?
I would love to see some pictures taken with the Sigma 70-200.

I have the Sigma 50-150mm f2.8 which I love ...

Here is a link to images from the 70-200
photoSIG » Lens: Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 EX HSM APO

Don't have the sigma so can't comment on it. If you're going to D80 or D300 and looking for something in b/n the prices, D90 is a good camera, especially since you got the glass.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back