alternative to 50mm

Dym

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I shoot mostly at home, kids, etc. with a Canon 70d. I currently have the 18-55mm kit lens, 55-250mm lens, and a 50mm 1.4 lens. I mostly use the 50mm since it does the best in lower light (most of my pics are taken indoors) but I'm wanting to get something that's a little wider. Would the 24mm 2.8 be my best bet or is there something else that would be a better choice? Thanks!

Set you kit lens to 24mm and see if the field of view and the perspective is what you are looking for? Some people may not like the way the photos looks with wide angle lens when subject is closer to the camera.

Why 24 instead of 28 or 35?

Instead of 50mm there is the 40mm pancake, the very affordable 35mm f/2 classic, the new 35mm with IS, and the venerable 28mm f/1.8. There are also lenses from Sigma, and perhaps others, not sure. On the small-body Canons a 50 is a short tele length, so, make your decision accordingly. I would NOT base much of the decision on test report sharpness, which is very often overrated by test report people, but instead go with the right focal length that will work for YOU.

I'm in favor of a basic 35mm lens - it will allow you to get close, and it'l be a pretty fast lens - soaking up that light.

Never used a 35mm Canon lens, but I am sure they're awesome. Personally, I'd find 24mm too wide for kids. 40mm might be nice though - but my recommendation is the 35!

I shoot mostly at home, kids, etc. with a Canon 70d. I currently have the 18-55mm kit lens, 55-250mm lens, and a 50mm 1.4 lens. I mostly use the 50mm since it does the best in lower light (most of my pics are taken indoors) but I'm wanting to get something that's a little wider. Would the 24mm 2.8 be my best bet or is there something else that would be a better choice? Thanks!

A little wider than what? The 24? You have an 18. (Though the numbers don't actually work out to be exactly identical.)

How wide are you thinking? And, for what reason?

There really aren't a lot of opportunities for, say, a 12-14 unless you are doing a fair amount of work out in very open country.

Is it really worth spending for a super-wide when you will use it only sparingly?

The differences between the 18-55 and the 24 prime are minor. You have to know what you're looking for IMO to notice any real world differences. Both have a nice close in minimum focus distance and both have a fairly similar look to the center 60-70% of the frame. For the cost, the 24 is a bargain and worth having. But, still ... wider still than 18?

What can't you do now with the 18 that you want to do in the future?

How to Use Ultra-Wide Lenses

A little wider than what? The 24? You have an 18. (Though the numbers don't actually work out to be exactly identical.) ............

Huh?

The Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 is a nice fast lens for that camera.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back