Alternative to Canon Macro Twin Lite Flash?

andrewcollier

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I wish to purchase a flash set-up for Macro work. I currently use a Canon 300D, 105mm Sigma Macro lens and a Canon 550EX flash unit.

I do not like ring flashes and prefer the twin flash arrangement. I already have a bracket that will hold two flash units and understand this may be preferable to give flexibility for adjusting the flash distance. The Canon MT-24ex Macro Twin Lite Flash is too expensive at £600. Additionally I would also like to use the two flash units I am considering buying for portrait work. At the moment I am considering the smallest Canon - 220 EX Speedlite at £120 or the Metz 20 C 2 at £30.

Can anyone advise whether a slave unit is preferable to a lead? Canon's 3 metre lead seems overpriced at £41. Do I need anything else to achieve what the Canon twin-lite would offer?

I find it difficult to chose from the large amount of units available at Warehouse Express and would appreciate any comments as I want to select the most suitable unit for my needs.

I shoot a lot of macro. If you use a lens that allows adequate working distance, I recommend attaching the flash directly to the camera with a difuser like Lumiquest soft box. I use a Canon 100mm and at minimum focus distance (around 6 inches) this set up offers great lighting. I haven't tried it with my extension tubes or a lens with a shorter focus distance, so it may have limitations.

I remember when I first started and went down this road trying all these brackets and arms, connections etc. and one day I thought I would just attach the flash directly to the camera and I never went back.

You would be surprised how well this works, you might want to give it a try. I use a 430EX.

if you would like to see samples of this set-up, take a look at my site. Hope this helps

I shoot a lot of macro. If you use a lens that allows adequate working distance, I recommend attaching the flash directly to the camera with a difuser like Lumiquest soft box. I use a Canon 100mm and at minimum focus distance (around 6 inches) this set up offers great lighting. I haven't tried it with my extension tubes or a lens with a shorter focus distance, so it may have limitations.

I remember when I first started and went down this road trying all these brackets and arms, connections etc. and one day I thought I would just attach the flash directly to the camera and I never went back.

You would be surprised how well this works, you might want to give it a try. I use a 430EX.

if you would like to see samples of this set-up, take a look at my site. Hope this helps
Thanks for the comments. I have had a look at your site......very impressive. I shall bear what you have said in mind.

Regards

Andrew

Most reactions

New Topics

Back