Altura AP-C1001 bounce flash working with a Nikon?

im1dermike

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I purchased Altura's AP-C1001 bounce flash a few years ago to work with a Canon G10. I have since upgraded to a Nikon D3400. Apparently, the AP-C1001 is for Canon cameras and Altura offers the AP-N1001 that works with Nikons/the D3400.

"Works with" is what I would like to know the definition of. When I connect the AP-C1001 to my D3400, the flash fires when I take a picture so it would appear to "work". I'm a beginner so I'm not really sure what full functionality I should be expecting from a bounce flash and its different modes, but, again, it fires.

I reached out to Altura to ask if the AP-C1001 will work with my D3400 and the response I got was "... the Nikon kit will not be compatible with the D3400. Unfortunately, the wireless triggered will not be compatible." This response is, at the very least, confusing. It also doesn't address the fact that the AP-C1001 "worked" to some extent in that it fires when I take a picture with my D3400.

Any ideas?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The way the Nikon camera communicates iTTL with the flash is likely different from the way the Canon camera communicates TTL with the flash. IOW different language.

The way the Nikon camera communicates iTTL with the flash is likely different from the way the Canon camera communicates TTL with the flash. IOW different language.
That is all well and good. What am I seeing then when the flash fires? To what extent is it working/not working?

That is all well and good. What am I seeing then when the flash fires? To what extent is it working/not working?

I have no idea, since I do not know the trigger circuits on the flash nor the camera.

Personally, when I have used a non iTTL flash on a Nikon iTTL dslr, I performed surgery on the flash and removed the other pins from the foot, leaving only the center trigger pin. This it to prevent possible damage to the camera from the flash, because I don't know what the other pins are doing.

The central contact pin in the hotshoe of all modern Nikon cameras is the "Fire!" contact, and the same is true of the central pin on all shoe-mount flash units. However, to get FULL, 100% compatibility on a flash and camera or a flash and flash trigger, there are other pins and contacts that must match up.

Non-TTL flash needs only the central pin/contact. Google Canon vs Nikon flash contact pattern.

Pentax and Nikon use the same pinout pattern; Canon is different.

Most reactions

Back