Alzheimer's

fauxto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
28tykk0.jpg

With that title, this picture makes me sad. Which I guess is a good thing for you as the photographer, having caused a reaction in a viewer like that.

Underexposure limits the effectiveness of the shot, irrespective of the intention.

skieur

The shot is quite sad, but I agree it is rather dark.

The shot is intentionally fading strongly to black to show he has left us. I had been his favorite nephew, yet I was just a stranger with a camera that day. I shot with contrasty Ilford FP-4 and printed it contrasty, as well.

I understand why you chose the strong gradation, but I still find it a pity you clipped off his chin.
Anyhow, dementia is a sad thing to witness, it leaves you behind feeling all helpless, but when my severely demented uncle was still alive and I mentioned the radio he had once built with us when I was little and he was young and able, something changed in his eyes. A flicker, a moment of focussing, as if it meant something to him. That gave me a good feeling.

It was no longer possible to take any photos of my uncle in the latest stages of his dementia, or better said: to show them to anyone but family ... well, he's in a better world now.

I, personally, love the contrast of the image. It works really well for this type of image. Excellent Capture, but sad story.

His eyes make me want to cry.
I used to work in an assisted living center, and we had a few dementia patients. It was so hard to help them, because one wrong move and they thought they were being attacked. I had to "save" one lady from a nurse, the lady somehow got out of the building and the nurse was trying to chase her down... So sad.. I just offered her a ride, I was going to the A.L. anyways to go to work.. Might as well take her back. When we got to the door, she had no idea what had just happened..
Sad really.

Well done. You capture a great expression, I like the way his face is shaded and I especially love the white marks. Gives it that little extra.

I also find it humorous that some are complaining over the contrast when your title couldn't have made the purpose any more obvious (no offense).

knowing the intent of the picture.. I like it.

My dad has Alzheimer's.. I've taken some pictures of him but haven't done anything with them. Its a sad thing, especially when they are close.

Most reactions

Back