Am i a good photographer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Snakeguy101 said:
If you have to seek out others approval then probably not. Photography is an art and it should be what you want it to be. If you can make your camera do what you want it to do then yes- you are a good photographer. That being said there is good art and bad art. In your phototream it seems like you have both. Just keep in mind that the less noticeable your edits are, the better (try to keep it to minor adjustments only).

Very well said Snakeguy. I like that response alot.

If you have to seek out others approval then probably not. Photography is an art and it should be what you want it to be. If you can make your camera do what you want it to do then yes- you are a good photographer. That being said there is good art and bad art. In your phototream it seems like you have both. Just keep in mind that the less noticeable your edits are, the better (try to keep it to minor adjustments only).

This was my thinking, before I ever opened the thread.

"Photographer" today it is a relatively useless term only bc anyone can do it - my kids 2 and 4 take blocks, make cameras out of them and start posing each other. On the other hand a photographer is an artist who wants to show his vision through pictures. Whether or not the rest of us want to see this vision is a different story but it's ur vision. One of the indicators of what makes someone good or not good artist is having a lay person and/or peer willing to buy the art. For most images, I would spend a penny. A chimp, looks like one of those inserts that comes in a picture frame.
Try to shoot to make all ur pictures "chimps"

Good Luck.

One of the indicators of what makes someone good or not good artist is having a lay person and/or peer willing to buy the art.

Considering how bad some of the so called "professional photographers" are these days, this is not really true.

You are not good simply because someone buys your photos.

Junk sells more often and in higher quantities than quality stuff, just go to Wallmart and you will see what I mean.

What makes a photographer good is knowledge/experience/talent.

You Are Not a Photographer

This link is proof that being able to sell your photos means pretty much jack squat. Some of these people are so far beneath my skill level that I almost fell out of my chair laughing at how bad their photos are.
I guess according to you they are better than me though since someone was “willing to buy their art”, and I have never sold a photo before in my life.

I don’t think so....

Neil S. said:
Considering how bad some of the so called "professional photographers" are these days, this is not really true.

You are not good simply because someone buys your photos.

Junk sells more often and in higher quantities than quality stuff, just go to Wallmart and you will see what I mean.

What makes a photographer good is knowledge/experience/talent.

You Are Not a Photographer

This link is proof that being able to sell your photos means pretty much jack squat. Some of these people are so far beneath my skill level that I almost fell out of my chair laughing at how bad their photos are.
I guess according to you they are better than me though since someone was “willing to buy their art”, and I have never sold a photo before in my life.

I don’t think so....

I didn't say I'd pay for them. But I make living on resales so to me that's a big indicator. Fact that more crap is sold outthere then quality - is a 10000% fact. However, look at modern/contemporary art it's ALL over the place vs classical art.
U nog selling doesn't mean u can't. OP selling - depends on the client. I know I would buy it and continue walking away from theses but it doesn't mean that some1 else won't feel opposite.
KmH said it well - learn photography not Photoshop.

a good photographer could get real sunflares if they wanted to.

:confused: Crikey! if i knew the replys were going to be so harsh i wouldn't have bothered ! The photoshop comments are unless tbh because the project i was doing required me to show what i could do on photoshop, and to make sure i had a broad understanding of available options. Ive only been doing photography for 6 months ish and im only 16. Thanks anyways ! :D
Also like i said this is just some of my work, most of my portrait work is barley edited. The ones i uploaded were just for fun and messing about on photoshop not for selling.

Are you good? I'd say you were too inconsistant yet to be considered solid. However, I think you have a very decent natural eye. You need a lot more practice with light and camera settings, however. Keep working on it.

KmH is right though. Worry about the photos first, then the photoshop. (This coming from someone who photoshops the $hit out of things :) )

:confused: Crikey! if i knew the replys were going to be so harsh i wouldn't have bothered ! The photoshop comments are unless tbh because the project i was doing required me to show what i could do on photoshop, and to make sure i had a broad understanding of available options. Ive only been doing photography for 6 months ish and im only 16. Thanks anyways ! :D
Also like i said this is just some of my work, most of my portrait work is barley edited. The ones i uploaded were just for fun and messing about on photoshop not for selling.

If you are doing A levels you must be from the UK so don't get mardy, show them how tough we are and take it on the chin, i'm one of the worst for being harsh and i don't think they have been that harsh

I realize that this post come a few years after the original :) but I am new here and browsing around. I don't think the fact that you asked for peoples' critiques automatically makes you a sucky photographer. I think it makes you a wise learner. Keep learning, that's why we're on here anyway, right?

If you're still around I'd love to know if you went for photography or psychology. I have a degree in psych, and now I'm learning all I can about photography. :)

Leslie C - please don't bump old threads like this. If you want to contact a member about a really old thread best to click their name and open a conversation with them.

Though bare in mind if you click and view a users profile you can see when they were last online and this member hasn't been online since Sep 8, 2011. So whilst a conversation should email them a notification (if their profile is setup to default); chances are they've moved on long ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back