Am I awful?

PlasticSpanner said:
If I'm feeling in a good mood and have the time I'll make them work to sell me whatever it is!

I know from the start that I'm not buying but they don't! :lol:

Other than that I just say no thank you (no need to be impolite!) and hang up!

I'm perfectly polite the first time I say 'no thank you', it's when they persist that I get annoyed and hang up.

When it comes to someone on the phone actually talking to me, I have a hard time being rude. All I think about is this poor woman's 18 children that she is desperately trying to take care of by working on the phone all day, getting yelled at, hung up on, and abused. I never buy what they are selling but I just can't hang up.

Rob said:
I like to ask them what kind of underwear they have on. See how persistent they are before they are thoroughly freaked out. Got one bloke as far as making suggestive noises once - about ten minutes of pure filth...

Rob

i have GOT to try that! you sir, just made my day! :lmao::lmao::lmao:

The only experience I have in this field is one time I was required to work in a political 'office', and I was giving the task of calling houes in the area to 'poll' who they might be voting for as well as if they wanted a sign. (No, I don't do this as a past-time). I have never heard so many variations of "shut-up" in my life, and of the hundreds of households I called, I must say, I probably had about three people who truly cared about the election enough to discuss the parties platform etc.
Very interesting experience, and I definitely respect telemarketers (as opposed to telemarkers, but they are kind too) much more than I originally did.
Now after saying that, I generally give a polite "no thank you" half way through their speel, but I try to refrain from picking up the phone and putting it back in the cradle right away.

Ok, my FAVORITE thing to do, is do let them go a good while.....string them along....make it interesting like i'm sold. then hang up.most of mine are....you've won...all you need to do is take this survey...then to get this all you have to d is buy.....so i go along....act like i'm sold...then i say now what i am really interested in doing is...click

the call back....pick up and say they aren't home....

If I want a product I will seek that product out....if not....then I DON'T WANT IT...you just want me to want it.

i once had someone threaten to kill me over the phone when i refused to tell them who i was!

The phone rang, i picked it up and said hello. the voice at the other end snaps "who's that?" so i said "well whose number did you dial?". they didnt like that, so we got into abit of an argument and he told me he was going to come around to my house and kill me!

to this day, i still have no idea who he was or what he wanted

the way i see it is, you don't phone someones house and demand to know who has answered the phone. You wouldn't knock on someones door and ask who they were!

JohnMF said:
i once had someone threaten to kill me over the phone when i refused to tell them who i was!

The phone rang, i picked it up and said hello. the voice at the other end snaps "who's that?" so i said "well whose number did you dial?". they didnt like that, so we got into abit of an argument and he told me he was going to come around to my house and kill me!

to this day, i still have no idea who he was or what he wanted

the way i see it is, you don't phone someones house and demand to know who has answered the phone. You wouldn't knock on someones door and ask who they were!

yes, these are two HUGE pet peaves of mine... don't call my number and ask "who is this?"

"i'm not telling you who this is, you called me buddy, who in the **** are you?!"

and if you are going to threaten to kill me you better not bring a knife to a gun fight... :gun:

sorry, getting a little spun up just thinking about it...

My standard response is "I'm sorry but I don't respond to telephone soliciations. If you would like to send me something in the mail I'll be happy to review it." Most just give up at that point. If they press I just repeat it. If the persist I just hang up.

Now if I get the SOB whom comes at me like he's my long lost friend although I don't know him from the pile of dog poo down the street.... I just said "Oh Great! Wait one second" and then put the phone down on the desk and ignore it. That tends to **** them off after they realize I'm not comming back and some older systems wont allow them to disconnect the call if I don't hang up first so it ties up a line for them. :lmao:

I really like the bit in Boiler Room when he's on the phone with the newspaper salesman. He says, "you've got it all wrong" and teaches him how to sell the paper, and the telemarketer goes through the sales pitch again, and he says "that's perfect, you got it." The telemarketer says, "so, can I put you down for a subscription then?" and he says, "Nope, I already get the Times" and hangs up.

Mum had one the other day and he said "please don't hang up on me, I not selling anything" so she listened and he asked if she owned the house, she always lies and says we are renting, and he said.........

"Ok, you can hang up on me now"

LOL

Ive only had to hang up on one telemarketer so far. I told them I wasnt interested and they kept on talking as if they couldnt hear me talk. Hehe, I usually use caller id and screen incoming calls with voice mail for the ones I dont know.

The real feat would be to sell the telemarketer something, hehe.

Hehe, I heard of one guy that worked nights so he slept during the day. He would keep getting telemarkter phone calls through out the day waking him up. So the one time he got fed up he got the number somehow of one of the people phoning him, and called them at 3am to see how they liked it, hehe.

Most reactions

Back