Am I friggin' stupid or what? Nikon shooter thinking Canon P&S.

kundalini

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm seriously thinking to sell my Nikon D80 with 18-55mm & 55-200mm lenses and replacing it with the Canon G10. The reviews read sound and I get tired lugging around two dSLR bodies. (For those that don't know, the D300 is staying put.) If Nikon had an equivalent I would look at that, but the P5100 doesn't shoot RAW plus other stuff. The shot comparisons between the two are ridiculously in Canon's court. The extra $$$ doesn't bother me too much. Or is the G9 almost as good?

Makes you feel like a traitor, doesn't it? :lol:

I have a Nikon dslr & my P&S is a Canon Elph.

Well...... kinda, yeah.

But I still have a Canon film SLR from years ago hidden in a closet somewhere. :lol:

Well, I have a Canon dSLR and a Nikon P&S :)

Well...... kinda, yeah.

But I still have a Canon film SLR from years ago hidden in a closet somewhere. :lol:

Still have my AE-1P, along with many others collected over the years....:thumbup:

I have a DSLR in each brand right now. Nikon soon to take the lead as soon as UPS gives it up.

Nikon film bodies galore though. Minolta bodies as well, no Cannon film though.

I'm a Nikon shooter and I would easily buy a Canon P&S over a Nikon.

That said replacing the SLR with a P&S, yes you're stupid, is that what you wanted to hear? :p

They are complimentary to each other, I'd say save and buy both.

Uhhh Garbz, in case it passed you by, I have a D300 in the stall that's not going anywhere.. But cheers on the Canon vs Nikon P&S debate. I just can't see where Nikon is coming close to match Canon in this field.

The P5100 was in my opinion never a competitor to the G9. The only thing I really liked about it was the size and the nice flash. The Canon G-series is very good and impressed me (excluding the G7). BUT> Nikon released a new P&S that is suppose to compete with the G10. I do believe it does Raw (finally).

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Nikon/nikon_cpp6000.asp

Yeah usayit, only today did I find out about the P6000. Haven't completely read the reviews yet, but thanks a lot for the link. I still have doubts that it will fully compete with the G9/10.

Uhhh Garbz, in case it passed you by, I have a D300 in the stall
Yeah sorry I totally missed that one.

As an aside, do Nikon even do anything worthy of the term "compete" in this market? I seem to remember Nikon Coolpix were in rebadged Fujifilm Finepix cameras or something like that. Even now the products really look very similar.

well, get what you like best of each company, why not?

as the p&s is independent of your SLR-lenses, go for it.

there is nothing like treason ... why stay loyal to any brand for other reasons than logic? Any emotion is totally out of place, both companies just want your money anyway ;)

Yeah sorry I totally missed that one.

As an aside, do Nikon even do anything worthy of the term "compete" in this market? I seem to remember Nikon Coolpix were in rebadged Fujifilm Finepix cameras or something like that. Even now the products really look very similar.

I deal with a lot of cameras at work, and often point-&-shoots of different brands not only look very similar, but have what is clearly the same lens with a different name. Of course I doubt this applies to the higher-end compacts.

Btw, here's a comparison of the G10 versus the P6000.

Last edited:
Can I buy your 18-55?

Give Nikon a chance, I bet they will improve the P6000 soon. This will be a competitive field.

Most reactions

Back