Am I friggin' stupid or what? Nikon shooter thinking Canon P&S.

Know what I say? Do whatever makes you happy! :D

If you need a small P&S camera that you can tuck into a shirt pocket, you cannot do much better than a Canon G10. Currently no one has this field nailed down like Canon, and yeah, that includes Nikon.

Nikon dropped the ball when they stopped development of the E8800 line, that was a class leading camera a bit bigger than the G9, but it also outperformed it. The G10 easily outdoes the E8800 on many levels.

I don't buy into this Canon vs Nikon crap, I get what works for me. If the Canon makes you smile, go for it and I wish you nothing but the best! :D

I think you're onto something there... The G10 looks very capable. Now I'm tempted too...

I agree with JerryPH on this, it shouldn't matter what brand it is... HOWEVER: In this one instance, there's one thing to consider: Apparently the Nikon P6000 has the same menu and user interface as the D300. It would strike me as highly desirable to have a real pro P&S with the same GUI as my primary camera. It ensures that the creative process is not hampered by having to think about what dials and button to engage in order to change a setting.

Yes, that creative process could be hampered at the beginning of any camera usage, until you are acclimated to it, and I do see an initial advantage in reducing time spent in the learning curve if it is familiar (a wise marketing step by the Nikon people to boot!).

I also think that any reasonably competent person can learn to comfortably use more than 1 camera interface with success over a short time. For me, a more important factor would be end results. We're talking the lowered expectations of a simple P&S camera here (compared to a dSLR), they are designed for simple use by the "average" person and I think that a dSLR user has even a greater advantage because dSLRs invite being more knowledgeable in camera use, something that make using a P&S more effective.

After comparing the 2 (P6000 and G10), if I was in the market for a P&S, even I'd lean more towards the G10, because the specifications look that much better in many areas. :)

I call dibs on the 55-200! How much would you want for it?

Apparently the Nikon P6000 has the same menu and user interface as the D300. It would strike me as highly desirable to have a real pro P&S with the same GUI as my primary camera. It ensures that the creative process is not hampered by having to think about what dials and button to engage in order to change a setting.
I agree to a point, but JerryPH also makes a valid arguement. I have been clever enough to grasp the D300 (mastering is a completely different thing :lol:) and feel I can overcome the G10 interface as well. If the performance of the P6000 was more on par to that of the G10, this thread would be a mute idea. So far in my research, it doesn't fit the bill. I'm not in a hurry so perhaps the next generation will come out soon when Nikon realizes that they missed the boat in this category. The performance (IQ, lag times, etc.) just aren't up to snuff. The one thing that bothers me a little is that the G10 files are not supported by LightRoom..... yet. But Canon does include their software and I'm sure I can convert the files to a TIFF and edit in LR then.

Sheesh... the vultures are circling! :lol: :lol:
:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Hold yer horses boys. I'm still in the research phase. I don't make up my mind too fast either.

Wait a minute, if you're selling the 18-55 and 55-200, what lenses does that leave you for the D300?

If you still have some good quality glass to keep with the D300, by all means sell the D80 and lower quality glass for a high end P+S. I've been thinking about a good P+S myself, just so convenient compared to heavy DSLRs.

Wait a minute, ...., what lenses does that leave you for the D300?
Primes: 35mm f/2.0, 50mm f/1.8, 85mm f/1.8, 300mm f/4
Zooms: 12-24mm f/4, 24-70mm f/2.8, 70-200mm f/2.8
All Nikkors.

More to follow in 2009. :biggrin:

Sheesh... the vultures are circling! :lol: :lol:

Hold yer horses boys. I'm still in the research phase. I don't make up my mind too fast either.

WHAT?! Vulture?! I clearly resemble that remark!

Uh... resent... yeah... I resent that remark...

I have a gap in my focal length coverage from 55mm-70mm that I CONSTANTLY find myself frustrated by. My budget is stretched a bit thin at the moment and so picking up a used 55-200mm seems appealing.

I'll fold my wings for the moment, though... LOL!

On topic, though, although I love Nikons, I don't like their P&S cameras so I think the G10 is great option.

So buy it... and sell me the 55-200mm... :D

Wait a minute, if you're selling the 18-55 and 55-200, what lenses does that leave you for the D300?

oh.... that only leaves Kundi with about 27 pounds of quality Nikon Glass....

I'm thinking about a G10 too, but I'm not sure if I want that or another lens for the D90. It would be nice to have a small, mobile camera I can keep in the car and move quick with. But I would never replace my D90, I love the versatility of it.

I shoot Nikon DSLR's and Canon P&S's.

I can't answer whether you are friggin' stupid or not... I will leave that up to others.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back