Am I getting better? Lol critique please!

N1kon1k

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys... so here is another shot since my last post... hope you guys can let me know again what works? And what doesn't?

Also as always what I can improve on...
thanks as always

IMG_0012.JPG

I like this! A stick and seafoam?
the day I took this shot .... it was 15 degrees with a negative windchill... I came across this stick looking for a composition and I noticed that the foam was actually frozen onto the stick... so I decided to go for simplicity on this composition

I like this! A stick and seafoam?
the day I took this shot .... it was 15 degrees with a negative windchill... I came across this stick looking for a composition and I noticed that the foam was actually frozen onto the stick... so I decided to go for simplicity on this composition

Frozen? I have never seen that before! An interesting subject; the symmetry of the foam makes me happy; definitely appreciate the simplicity of it.

Good composition on an unusual subject: I thought it was some type of coccoon or something. Zoomin g inm, the structure of it was most unusual in appearance, looking to me to be almost like some type of modern synthetic fabric.

Good composition on an unusual subject: I thought it was some type of coccoon or something. Zoomin g inm, the structure of it was most unusual in appearance, looking to me to be almost like some type of modern synthetic fabric.
Lol... thanks Derrel much appreciated.... I was definitely not counting on a shot like this... I tend to look more for trees or seascapes... but I really liked this one...

I really like the composition and the light on this. It's a really great graphical sort of shot - the stick clearly holding the position of first interest, but then these beautiful symmetrical lines leading the eyes out towards the rest of the rest of the image.

If I had one critique, it would be that I wish the depth of field were a smidge deeper - not a lot, but maybe just 1-2 clicks stopped down. And I say this as someone who adores shallow depth of field, but I think this one needs just a tiny bit more for two reasons. First, with such a shallow depth of field, the focal point is really important. I feel the focus should be square on the tip of the stick, but viewing the image full-size, it seems like the focus is a bit down and to the left of the stick. (Someone with better eyes can confirm or deny, perhaps?)

Second, the image is really strong graphically, but I'd love to see a bit more of the mix of textures of the rock, the stick, and the foam. I think a slightly deeper depth of field would have brought out more texture in the different elements instead of smoothing them out.

But let me say again, that I really really like the shot and the above is really a minor critique. All the important stuff is there. The rest is just refinement.

I really like the composition and the light on this. It's a really great graphical sort of shot - the stick clearly holding the position of first interest, but then these beautiful symmetrical lines leading the eyes out towards the rest of the rest of the image.

If I had one critique, it would be that I wish the depth of field were a smidge deeper - not a lot, but maybe just 1-2 clicks stopped down. And I say this as someone who adores shallow depth of field, but I think this one needs just a tiny bit more for two reasons. First, with such a shallow depth of field, the focal point is really important. I feel the focus should be square on the tip of the stick, but viewing the image full-size, it seems like the focus is a bit down and to the left of the stick. (Someone with better eyes can confirm or deny, perhaps?)

Second, the image is really strong graphically, but I'd love to see a bit more of the mix of textures of the rock, the stick, and the foam. I think a slightly deeper depth of field would have brought out more texture in the different elements instead of smoothing them out.

But let me say again, that I really really like the shot and the above is really a minor critique. All the important stuff is there. The rest is just refinement.

Thanks a bunch Limr ... really appreciate the compliment and also the critique as well... I'm still learning about composition and elements of design, so anything really helps... from what I read if understood you correctly technique it's what could of improved the shot a bit more... yes you're correct on the focus point...

I went back to check the shot and the focus point was off just as you mentioned...

Also thank you for taking the time to explain what could be improved to bring it to the next level

This was a fine, detailed, and honest C&C from limr.

At first I thought it was some kind of fungus.

"Rule 408: Time is not the boss of you"

At first I thought it was some kind of fungus.

I guess we can call it "abstract"

I guess we can call it "abstract"

I love abstract photography, and this shot is no exception. I had to stop and really look at it, and every time I come to this thread I stop and look at it some more. I'd love to be able to achieve that with my work (practice practice practice).

Most reactions

Back