PhilGarber

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
philipofnj.redbubble.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all,

I've seen tons of pro photos posted on here without watermarks, can't someone copy a photo to their computer if it does not have a watermark (then later reproduce it)???

Very confused,

Phil

Hi all,

I've seen tons of pro photos posted on here without watermarks, can't someone copy a photo to their computer if it does not have a watermark (then later reproduce it)???

Very confused,

Phil

the only real protection is a watermark right across the image. this spoils the overall impression though. watermarks in the corners are only a polite reminder which will keep the good guys from accidentally infringing copyright, the bad guys will just crop such that the watermark is gone.

hence the only real protection is to post images not at full resolution, so they are at least useless for print media.

this is how I do it:

small:
preview_photokina_041.jpg

large:
photokina_041.jpg

To print an image at a high quality...you need about 300 pixels per inch of print size. Monitor display is more like 72 pixels per inch. So when I upload an image to the web, I resize it so that it's only 800 pixels wide...which is plenty big on a screen but it would only be good enough for a 2.6" wide print (at 300 PPI)....which isn't very useful for a potential image thief.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back