Am I on the right track with wanting the Canon Speedlite 430EX Flash?

dry3210

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here is what I have....

- Canon T1i Digital Rebel
- Canon 18-55mm IS lens thats included with it
- Canon 55-250mm IS telephoto lens
- Tamron 90mm macro lens

What I would plan on using the flash for...
- Maternity pictures of my girl who is obviously preggo
- Baby pictures for once the kid is here
- Macro shots
- Family function pictures (ie: anniversaries, my sisters very low rate wedding on the beach, thanksgiving, etc)

Reason for the 430EX flash....
- The 580EX is pretty damn expensive
- The 220EX I don't think I'd be very happy for long with
- The macro flashes are too specific to macro shooting
- Its got plenty of features for the price and should keep me content for quite some time
- I don't plan on buying any additional flashes any time in any remote future so the master/slave deal seems not important to me.

Anyway, I'm posting this to ask if there is something important I'm missing? Or is the 430EX even overkill for what I'll be using it for? Also, is there anything else that is essential I should get at the time I get the flash?

I know flash questions get posted all the time and really its up to the poster what he will need/want but any input would be great. Thanks

It sounds like the 430EX would be perfect for you. Go for it.

430 would be great...you've got quite a bit of manual flash control. your macro work and close up portraits of wife and kids/maternity type stuff can really benefit with some fine detail of lighting control. get a fong dome or other type of diffuser and practice your bounce technique with that flash. mmmm...nice soft lighting!

Most reactions

Back