Am I using incorrect lenses for digital camera?

Markus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.mkv.smugmug.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Please look at my signature to see my lenses. They came with my D70s as a kit. Someone told me these were for film cameras and that on a digital camera I was not getting the true mm. Is this true?. And how can you tell if a lens is meant for a digital camera as apposed to a film camera. Oh yea, he said it had to do with the size of the digital sensor being a different size than a 35mm film frame. Seemed to make sense to me when he explained it. I guess what I'm asking is, do I need to get a new lens.

You don't have to do anything.

Your 28-80, is still physically 28-80mm, however, the size of your sensor, since it's smaller than a slide of 35mm crops it to what makes it act more like a 42-120mm

Thanks for the response. In that case though if in close spaces like indoors when trying to get a lot of people in the scene or getting a shot of a room I would be losing a lot of the picture, correct? So I probably should add a smaller mm lens to my collection? Just to have a little more versatility. What would you recommend? Isn't an 18mm lens often recommended for the d70s? Also how does one tell a lens that would give true mm rating for a digital camera. Do they have a certain designation or numbering system. Hope these questions aren't to dumb. :)

Do a search (on this forum or Googgle) for 'crop factor' and eveything should become clear.

Thanks for the response. In that case though if in close spaces like indoors when trying to get a lot of people in the scene or getting a shot of a room I would be losing a lot of the picture, correct? So I probably should add a smaller mm lens to my collection? Just to have a little more versatility. What would you recommend? Isn't an 18mm lens often recommended for the d70s? Also how does one tell a lens that would give true mm rating for a digital camera. Do they have a certain designation or numbering system. Hope these questions aren't to dumb. :)

whatever the focal length of the lens * 1.5 = perceived focal length.

Any F-mount lens is recommended for a Nikon camera. 18mm on APS-C digital is about the start of a wide angle, 12mm and 14mm is wide.

Mount the lens on the camera, look through the viewfinder. What you see is what you get.

If you want to see more, get a wider (shorter) lens.

Well said mike. An 18mm will not work "any better" on your d70 than a 200mm. They will work the same.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back