Amanda C&C

ShaneF

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So a friend of mine from the local photography club asked me if i would take some photos of her over the weekend. Sure why not... I know a smile would have helped out a lot here but what is your over all opinion of the photo?

15188543199_d75e6628f9_b.jpg

Honest opinion? I can't see beyond the expression on her face, it looks like you just exposed yourself to her and she's impressed.
Seriously, the expression alone makes it a non keeper in my book. It's not complimentary to your subject... and her right hand position is really, really awkward. There are other issues but I'll leave them for someone else.

C'mon, she's a pretty girl, you can do better than that!

The first thing that jumps out at me are her eyes. The sclera seem so over-processed that they're almost glowing. There's also something bothering me about the angle/location of the lights. The shadow on her face gives her a look almost like she has a dirty face. I like the image overall, but I think a little more attention in post would help immensely.

Thanks for taking the time to give your input. I still have much to learn about posing and lighting, well everything for matter of it. had to look up sclera but i see what you mean.

What do you think would have been a more effective lighting setup (positioning)

... had to look up sclera but i see what you mean.
That's the great thing about photography - you learn cool new words! :lol:

What do you think would have been a more effective lighting setup (positioning)
That depends... what gear do/did you have available and what was your intent/vision for the image?

I want to like this. I do in fact, but her expression/pose ruins it for me.

haha yeah word of the day, sclera.

Available i had a couple of speedlights, triggers and some white with silver lining umbrellas. Ill be honest i did not have a look in mind when i was taking this and that is probably why this image failed so hard. It was a spur of the moment thing.

But if i wanted to light it so she did not have a "dirty face"?

Honest opinion? I can't see beyond the expression on her face, it looks like you just exposed yourself to her and she's impressed.
Seriously, the expression alone makes it a non keeper in my book. It's not complimentary to your subject... and her right hand position is really, really awkward. There are other issues but I'll leave them for someone else.

C'mon, she's a pretty girl, you can do better than that!

QFT...the expression kills this frame, utterly. I've seen some of your other photos of young women...this is strangely out of character for you. At least if you're the guy I am thinking of who was recently in Japan. Anyway, I would never show her this frame. I would destroy the negative!

I DO like the wall and location though, great background! And I think you had the camera backed up far enough t show the environment,and how she related to the environment. He foot looks kind of odd on top, color wise, which jumps out at me.

ill be honest she does not smile, i mean ever, its was a chore getting her not to look like she was getting ready to go to war. Besides taking a pie to the face and breaking out sock puppets i was at a loss in getting a smile.

That bad pose, all my fault. Never been to Japan, i live in Canada EH!!

Crop it in a bit tighter from the top - next time give the lighting different power settings to give some dimension to the face. I love the background. Next time have her shoot and you pose :)
Or just before you snap - FART real loud. She might laugh

oh totally out of curiosity, is she wearing panty hose? the coloring on her legs is not appealing

Most reactions

Back